‘Any’ is the Key Word in Mobile Technology
Robert Regis Hyle | April 28, 2014
The three “any’s” are ruling the mobile world these days: any time, any place, and any way you want to communicate or do business. These three aspects of life today continue to amaze.
Last weekend I was in Nashville, Tenn., to watch my daughter run in that city’s Rock and Roll Marathon (certainly a misnomer for the home of country music). Marathon running is decidedly not a spectator sport, but mobile technology added a great deal to the experience and enjoyment for fans of the racers.
By signing up for a free app I received text messages and Facebook updates on my smartphone that not only allowed me to keep track of her time, but know where she was on the course and when the best opportunity was to see her run by and offer encouragement. (By the way, the best sign I saw read: “Way to go random stranger.”)
The ability to stay connected is important for many of us and the any time, any place, any way aspect of business today is the biggest facet.
The fun opportunities of mobility are unquestioned, but the business functions are what will drive acceptance and performance as we move forward, away from a desktop world. The ITA is a perfect example of this. We still use the traditional distribution method of paper magazines sent via the U.S. Postal Service—think the independent agency model.
We also offer a desktop version for those who enjoy going paperless, but can’t tear themselves away from their office computer or laptop. Think of this as more of a direct writer model.
Finally, we have apps available through Google, Apple, and Amazon (and if you are an ITA member you really need to sign up for this easy to use, easy to read app). This is the model insurance carriers need to have available for their customers as those customers come to rely on newer and more mobile communication devices.
Admit it, you are doing things in a mobile environment that you never dreamed possible and never thought would be a requirement in your life. Yet they are and they will continue to change your life as we move further along the technology trail.
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Adaptik Named Among Best Workplaces 2017 List
- Guidewire Launches Accelerators to Meet Consumer Applications
- New Platform Enables DRC Customers to Conduct 6,000,000+ Ratings an Hour
- Roost Unveils Next Gen Smart Home Products
- MetLife Auto & Home Offers Digital Products via Guidewire
- Solartis Releases Rating Micro Service with ISO Electronic Rating Content
- Majesco Announces Digital Engagement and Microservices Platform as a Service
- Franklin Mutual Adds Roost Home Telematics Solutions
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Robert Regis Hyle
Insurance has gone through several business and technology cycles in the last two decades and with the infusion of not just insurtech tools but with... READ MORE
The whole transportation sector is in for massive transformation. The way people and goods will be moved from point A to point B in the future will be... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
The core systems replacement cycle is speeding up. Twenty years ago, even if you spent your entire career working at the same insurance company, you... READ MORE
- Partner News