4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
Philip Gow | January 21, 2020
Though it only took effect on Jan. 1, the California Consumer Privacy Act, or CCPA, has already changed the way corporations view consumer data. And with the introduction of the New York Privacy Act earlier this year, consumer data control has gone even further. This could mean fundamental changes to data management and basic operations for companies in the insurance industry.
Insurance executives now face an expensive, significant enterprise effort: knowing where data is within a company and how it’s shared — or potentially sold — to third parties. If companies are slow to implement the necessary protections, clients will question their commitment. Insurance is a trust business, after all.
When it comes to a company's use of personal data, nearly seven in 10 consumers say honesty and transparency are key to gaining their trust. Being proactive with data security is a surefire way to build credibility. Companies that are committed to client data privacy should stay ahead of these laws — not respond after the fact.
Turning a Blind Eye
Failing to be compliant when the laws go into effect puts your consumer base and company at risk. You may attract the ire of regulators, who can impose significant fines ranging from $2,500 to $7,500 per violation.
The average data breach involves an estimated 25,575 records and can cost a company about $3.9 million. Just look at Facebook's recent $5 billion Federal Trade Commission fine — the result of data exposure to third-party firm Cambridge Analytica.
If the expense isn’t enough to convince you, the time and effort involved in compliance should. It has the potential to tie up your IT and business teams, limiting your ability to develop business initiatives and remain competitive in the marketplace.
Any state laws similar to CCPA and the New York Privacy Act will fundamentally impact data management. Adding a pop-up to your website asking users whether they want to "opt out" seems like a simple way to be compliant. In reality, compliance requires you to redo privacy statements, put 1-800 numbers in place, adjust your website, and so much more. Each of these steps can be huge undertakings for insurance organizations.
Preparing for the Privacy Age
For agile institutions, these new laws are an opportunity to put the mechanisms in place to be compliant and reassure customers that their data is secure and protected. The following strategies will make it possible for your company to stay ahead of the laws:
1. Start now.
It's very likely other states will follow California's lead and pass consumer privacy laws. To get ahead of any potential issues, launch an initiative now. Insurance organizations move at a methodical pace, and you'll need a lot of time to tackle this problem.
2. Review your current status.
It’s difficult to get anywhere without determining the best place to start. As such, conduct an objective “current state” review. Even if the laws aren’t yet on the ballot, it’s a good idea to review your organization’s current practices and procedures. Then, use existing laws to inform your direction.
For example, New York’s Cybersecurity Regulation requires all banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions to meet certain criteria. They must have a formal cybersecurity program with written policies for consumers’ private data, a chief information security officer, and established controls to ensure safety.
3. Seek outside help.
Many firms aren’t equipped to review their current state internally. They’re either too close to the business to be objective or don’t have the proper expertise. If this is the case, hire an outside firm to conduct an assessment. That way, you can arrive at a solution for CCPA — or similar laws — while liberating resources to focus on other business ventures.
4. Establish a culture of compliance.
Meeting compliance standards means nothing if you don’t have a culture in place to support them. Review all changes and developments for compliance during the design stage.
If your team members understand any changes from the beginning, they'll be more likely to accept them. This may take time, but it’ll be much easier at this stage. It will also help you avoid having to retrofit compliance on existing infrastructure and applications.
Modern consumers want privacy. Using these laws, differentiate yourself from other insurance companies by making it a core value of your organization. Your commitment to data privacy won’t just check that compliance box, it will also make your business more consumer-centric.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- miEdge Founder Mark Smith Joins Zywave Advisory Board
- Quadient Introduces iX-Series Mailing Systems and S.M.A.R.T. MailCenter Management Software to U.S. Market
- Majesco Announces Latest Release to the Majesco Insurance Data & Analytics Platform
- Hi Marley Raises $8 million for AI Messaging Platform
- UDoTest Launches COVID-19 Employer Testing Platform
- Beazley Completes Guidewire London Market ECF Integration
- Aclaimant Raises $10 mil in Series A Financing
- Quadient, Kitewheel Partner on Customer Journey Explorer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE