AIG Launches Canada’s First Travel Insurance on Demand Smart App
Staff Writer | March 27, 2018
Travel Guard Group Canada, Inc., an AIG company, launched an innovative travel insurance app allowing Canadian customers (except Quebec residents) to purchase coverage in blocks of time through their iPhone. Customers can now conveniently optimize travel insurance in a cost-effective way through hourly coverage. GPS technology enables travellers to utilize the coverage from the moment they leave their home province until they return as the app tracks the number of hours used.
The Travel Guard® On Demand app represents a departure from the traditional travel insurance options, including single trip or annual plans, and instead offers a more flexible way to buy travel insurance while giving consumers (ages 16-55) more control over their utilization of coverage.
“We’re always looking for new ways to keep pace with our travellers and by offering this innovative, fast and easy way to purchase travel insurance, our travellers can get more convenient coverage for when and how they want to use it,” said Marc Lipman, AIG Canada’s Chief Operating Officer. “The app enables consumers to gain protection in only 90 seconds after filling out the four fields required. To add further convenience, consumers can activate the purchased insurance by swiping the app button “on” at the start of their trip and “off” at the end of it, or use the app to pre-set the desired departure and return dates for an upcoming trip.”
The app offers a convenient, user-friendly way to purchase select Travel Guard products and services that are offered as specific blocks of insurance coverage up to 90 days, for use within 365 days from the date of purchase. When the app’s geolocation feature senses that the customer has arrived at an airport or a border crossing into the United States, a notification is sent to the customer’s iPhone to ask whether he or she wants to activate the purchased insurance. Then, for each hour the coverage is activated, the app automatically subtracts that time from the block of coverage purchased.
This new method of buying and utilizing travel insurance allows travellers to customize their protection period for each trip – down to the hour.
Usage-based insurance is a new concept in the travel insurance industry. The Travel Guard On Demand app pioneers this service model and reinforces AIG’s commitment to provide innovative, best-in-class products and services to its customers. Products available through the app offer coverage (within the terms of the insurance policy) for emergency medical services outside a customer’s home province, trip delay, baggage and personal effects, along with access to 24/7 travel assistance.
Travel Guard® On Demand is powered by JAUNTIN’, a Canadian insurance technology company. AIG’s relationship with JAUNTIN’ was formed when the insurance technology start-up won the AIG Canada Innovation Challenge. More than 80 Canadian technology start-ups applied and JAUNTIN’ was selected as the winner by a panel of AIG executives and members of AIG’s Global Innovation Team. The Challenge, hosted by AIG Canada in partnership with the Consulate General of Canada in San Francisco and Silicon Valley, was a way for AIG to tap into Canada’s rich ecosystem of technology entrepreneurs and identify new ideas to better serve its customers.
The app can be downloaded from Apple’s App Store (search for Travel Guard On Demand) or from the Travel Guard Canada website at www.travelguard.ca/travel-insurance/travel-guard-on-demand. For more information about AIG Canada and Travel Guard insurance, visit www.aig.ca and www.travelguard.ca.
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- RLI Selects DataCubes to Optimize Certain Underwriting Processes
- Reinsurance Software WebXL Version 4.3 Released by Prima Solutions-Effisoft Group
- Direct Online Could Grow to 12% of Small Commercial Insurance Market by 2023, Says Novarica
- David Fisher joins FRISS board as non-executive member
- Gulfstream Property and Casualty Insurance Company Selects Roost®Home Telematics Solutions
- Promutuel Insurance Extends Guidewire PolicyCenter to Support Personal Lines Including Data Management and Policyholder Digital Engagement
- Global Insurance Accelerator Announces Nicole Cook as Next Managing Director
- 60% of Carriers Planning to Increase Quality Assurance Activities in 2019, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
This month, the ITA celebrates Insurance Careers Month and encourages carriers, brokers, agents and our industry associations to plan their own... READ MORE
Customization in the general sense has a very positive connotation. However, in the world of software systems, customization quite often falls short... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE