AXA, Facebook Reimagine the Future of Insurance
Denise Garth | April 14, 2014
What a stunner and brilliant outside-in move by AXA to position itself as a dominant digital insurance company by partnering with Facebook. This is a game-changer for insurance, propelling AXA ahead of the competition and redefining the customer experience.
AXA and Facebook plan to leverage the scale of both businesses via innovation and access to research, training, and capabilities, particularly on mobile. The power partnership of the world’s top insurer and the dominant social media company has the potential to innovate, transform, and redefine AXA’s customer experience, customer engagement, digital presence, and growth potential to levels not yet seen in insurance.
AXA’s move has the potential to reinvent the customer experience, establishing a new bar for customer excellence, loyalty, and engagement that many insurers talk about, but few have actually taken the bold actions to achieve. This move goes well beyond having a presence on social media to embracing the power of a social media platform as the foundation of a new customer engagement model.
What is it that makes this so fascinating and game-changing? First, it is Facebook’s mission to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected by building a network of more than 1.23 billion (and growing) monthly active users. Second is the growing influence and pervasiveness of Facebook’s platform that is used by 57 percent of all American adults (and the fact that 50 percent of those adult users have more than 200 friends in their networks, according to the Pew Research Center).
Facebook started 10 years ago on a U.S. college campus and expanded across all demographics around the world, creating a network of relationships that influences decisions, other relationships, and outcomes. We have seen or experienced Facebook’s power from making possible the most basic of connections with childhood friends and family to its expansion across the U.S. and the world. Beyond its original purpose of social connection, it has grown to having the power to save lives, influence buying behaviors and customer loyalty, and motivate social and political change. And it gets more impressive.
Based on their 2013 fourth quarter financial results reported in early 2014, Facebook announced even more milestones that highlight the power and potential for AXA to turn the insurance model on its head. Consider these:
- On a daily basis, 757 million people were active users as of December 2013, representing an increase of 22 percent from the previous year. Even more astounding was that 556 million people were mobile active daily users, an increase of 49 percent over the previous year.
- But most impressive was a monthly average of mobile users totaling 945 million, an increase of 39 percent, but representing nearly 76 percent of the base.
Facebook’s vision, reflected in its milestones and influence, emphasizes why this partnership has game-changing implications for the industry and opens up a whole new model and potential of customer engagement for insurance:
- It can create a modern customer experience, like the ones people have every day with companies like Facebook, Amazon or Zappos, where there is a new level of engagement beyond the three common areas of quote and buy, bill payment, and claims—the things that are not necessarily fun and delightful. Imagine a new experience where the customer is getting more value through new services, offerings, and knowledge sharing with an insurer that is offering a more omnipresent relationship.
- Customer loyalty—and our typical manner of measuring this through a net promoter score (NPS)—is transformed through a branded customer network of relationships that share experiences, recommendations, costs, product ideas, and much more.
- Imagine leveraging the Facebook platform as a means of managing the customer’s portfolio of assets, products and policies, offering life and P&C product recommendations based on their life stage or activities, or helping them during a claim or catastrophic event. Customers can also use mobile technologies in a self-service manner to find assistance with claims or to access preventive information to help protect themselves and their assets.
- Consider the explosion of new data that will be available and valuable in understanding the customers better so as to personalize their experience, provide insights, uncover new needs, and identify new products and services that they may be aware of.
Most insurers today are using Facebook, mobile, and data to just do the same things differently within their operations, such as having a presence on Facebook, or “liking” the insurance company to get a discount, or tracking information to assess brand impact or fraudulent activity. Instead, this powerful partnership that is leveraging next-gen technologies has the potential to do completely different things—going well beyond what has already been done today, creating a digital strategy and experience that will reinvent and transform AXA and subsequently the insurance industry.
This outside-in move is a game changer, leveraging a relationship to reimagine AXA’s future. What will your next move be?
Contact me at email@example.com if you’d like to learn how SMA can help you on the innovation journey and discover new opportunities for the insurance industry. Click here to learn more about SMA’s research.
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- The Doctors Company Names Howard Mills to Board of Governors
- Oregon State Bar Professional Liability Fund Completes Successful Implementation of One Inc Digital Payments Platform
- Long-Term Data Strategies, Improved Underwriting and Product Development Key for Specialty Insurers, Says Novarica
- MEMIC Hires Lieberman as Production Underwriter in Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- Lightning Dangers Emphasized During Building Safety & Electrical Safety Months
- MVP Advisory Group Announces Partnership with DynaQuest Technology Services, Inc.
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Euan King Joins Instanda to Lead Business Development
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE