Agents and Brokers are Dead: Wait - Not So Fast!
Karen Pauli | January 24, 2018
For the past several years, a significant number of individuals and new-breed companies have emphatically stated that independent agents and brokers are dead. They don’t serve the needs of today’s consumers. They are behind the times from a technology standpoint. They are difficult to deal with. And a good number of InsurTech startups are staking their future success on displacing agents and brokers.
At SMA, we do not believe this. We believe that independent agents and brokers have a critical and, in many cases, an unmatched role in the insurance ecosystem. It is one thing to make this statement, but it is another to provide support for the statement. SMA recently did a study in this area. In the ensuing report, Data, Business Intelligence, and Analytics in Insurance – Agent View, there surfaced some compelling details that point to the independent distribution channel taking action to wrangle their own destiny in a new direction using data, business intelligence, and analytics.
In prior blogs, I have asserted that data and analytics is actually one word – dataandanalytics! Insurers are on a fast-paced track to bring more and more data and analytics into their organizations. In fact, SMA 2017 survey results reveal that data and analytics was the number two strategic initiative for insurers of all sizes – only three percentage points lower than the number one initiative of customer experience.
For many readers, this might be a case of “OK, tell me something I don’t already know.” However, there is a good probability that many believe that data, business intelligence, and analytics initiatives are the domain of insurers only – that agents and brokers are not focused on these types of initiatives. SMA survey results disprove this and show that 79% of agents are investing in BI for reporting, 44% in dashboards and scorecards, and 40% in analytics tools. CRM technology is a top technology for agents of all sizes. Large agents – those over $10 million in premium – are additionally focused on customer segmentation, customer lifetime value, campaign analysis and channel performance. This sounds suspiciously like an insurance company!
We are in a world of data-driven decisioning – this isn’t going to change. Many agents and brokers totally understand this and are responding. However, not all agents are on board. SMA survey results indicate that smaller agents are trailing in some initiatives. The real hitch is that the pace of change in the insurance industry is exponentially increasing. To successfully compete, agents and brokers need to move more quickly to grow their data and analytics competencies and technology adoption. Insurers can be true partners in these endeavors by doing such things as facilitating data and analytics technology integration with agency-based technology and assuring that data can be exchanged seamlessly.
There is no doubt that the insurance industry is in the midst of unprecedented transformation. Those agents and brokers who are bringing data, business intelligence, and analytics tools into their organizations to gain new insights about the changing risk landscape and customer preferences and needs are well on their way to maintaining their vital role in the industry. I, for one, am looking forward to the day when no one is talking about the death of the independent agent and broker, but rather talking about the high worth they bring to customers who value personal advice, risk management, and protection!
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. Expands FireLight® Environment to Offer Field Partners an Easy and Systematic Wizard-Type e-Application and Submission Experience
- McGohan Brabender Selects TechCanary Agency Management System and CanaryServices to Modernize Employee Benefits Support
- Legal & General announce new partnership with technology partner Slice Labs to roll out ‘on-demand’ homeshare insurance
- Columbian Financial Group Selects Equisoft For Multi-Year Modernization Project
- BTIS announces availability of Workers’ Comp on Appulate platform
- GuideOne Insurance Selects Roost® Property Telematics Solution
- Mutual Assurance Society of Virginia Automates Data Migration with ITS
- Erie Insurance Partners with Roost® For Home Telematics Pilot
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
For the past several years, a significant number of individuals and new-breed companies have emphatically stated that independent agents and brokers... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views