Apax Partners to Acquire Most of Duck Creek Technologies; Accenture to Retain Minority Interest
Robert Regis Hyle | April 19, 2016
Accenture and Apax Partners have agreed to form a joint venture in which Apax will acquire a 60 percent stake in Accenture’s Duck Creek Technologies, with Accenture retaining a 40 percent stake. The joint venture will operate as a new and independent company.
Cindy DeArmond, a managing director at Accenture, reports the deal will accelerate the development of Duck Creek products and technologies, leveraging advanced digital and cloud technology, and extend the reach of Duck Creek in key markets. As part of the venture, Accenture will collaborate with Duck Creek to help insurers take advantage of the Internet of Things, Big Data analytics, and other emerging technologies. Accenture will also be designated as a premier systems integrator and consulting partner for Duck Creek Technologies pursuant to a strategic alliance arrangement.
“We formed this partnership to celebrate the development of Duck Creek,” says DeArmond. “We are doing this so we can feed the innovation of Duck Creek and leverage the innovation and growth that we have been pushing. Apax will bring in additional investments so we can expand. We look at this as developing Duck Creek into the next generation of insurance solutions and create a more robust solution.”
Matt Foster, COO of Duck Creek, explains the deal takes what he believes is the best core systems technology and offers the opportunity to gain capital investment to expand and accelerate the solutions.
“We have a healthy appetite to expand our capabilities and we have great ideas to bring to the market,” says Foster. “We consider this a game-changing event for Duck Creek. We think we can take new things to the market for insurers.”
Duck Creek Technologies will gain access to substantial capital and management expertise through Apax Partners. This will enable further investment, both organically and through acquisitions, to fuel expansion of Duck Creek products and capabilities, particularly Duck Creek On-Demand, a native Software as a Service capability delivered through the cloud.
“We had a healthy R&D budget over the last several years and we were on an aggressive trajectory, but this puts more fuel in the tank. The second dimension is that Accenture is a premier alliance partner. The eco-system program was put in place to encourage and have SIs accelerate innovation around our product,” says Foster.
Duck Creek’s senior management, and approximately 1,000 insurance and insurance software specialists are expected to join the new joint venture. Accenture will own 40 percent of the venture as a significant, but non-controlling minority partner.
“Over the past five years, Duck Creek has evolved into a leading global software solution for top insurers,” says Jason Wright, a partner with Apax. “Apax intends to build upon this success by supporting the current management team to accelerate innovation in partnership with Accenture and its significant digital and insurance domain expertise. We believe this joint venture will be a game changer in the insurance technology arena.”
Mike Jackowski, president of Duck Creek Technologies, will become CEO of the joint venture.
“There has never been a more important time for insurance companies to embrace new technologies that will secure their future competitiveness,” he says. “Working with Accenture and Apax, we look forward to continued development and added investments that will deliver true innovation for the insurance industry, now and well into the future.”
The transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions, is expected to close toward the end of Accenture’s 2016 fiscal year, which ends Aug. 31. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Are Personal Lines Insurers Investing in Foundational Technologies?
- The Dentists Insurance Company Selects Guidewire InsurancePlatform for Data Management and Analytics
- Valen Unveils New ‘Unavailable Loss History Model’ for Workers’ Compensation
- Insurers Replacing Distribution/Compensation Management Systems as Part of Modernization Strategies; Novarica Profiles 10 Vendor Solutions
- HazardHub zooms past 100 billion data points for Property analysis
- ClarionDoor Adds New Head of Data and Analytics
- Zywave Introduces Comprehensive Learning Management System
- Insurance Industry Buys into RiskGenius Yet Again
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The personal lines segment of the insurance industry is quite active today, with many initiatives and projects underway across the value chain... READ MORE
Nowadays, transformation is a top buzzword in the insurance world. But beyond the buzz, it reflects what is happening in the insurance industry today... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE