Are You Really Ready for Big Data? What you need to know about data governance.
Robert Regis Hyle | April 22, 2014
Are You Really Ready for Big Data? What you need to know about data governance.
Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 1PM ET
The insurance world is abuzz with talk of analytics and big data. Unfortunately, most companies are simply not ready to take advantage of these technologies. Why? Because their data is a mess. Whether due to multiple system conversions or merger and acquisition activity, data is segregated and inaccurate. Not to mention that today’s analytics go beyond traditional databases to mine unstructured data as well. This session will discuss how to understand the data you have and create a plan for providing that data in an organized, accurate and consistent format to your organization.
Janeen Blanton is a Vice President with Salient. Her background includes technology management and systems implementation expertise. Janeen possesses a unique combination of strong technical proficiency, business acumen and people management skills. She has worked in the insurance industry for more than 19 years and is proficient in project/program management, operational improvement and strategic planning. While Janeen has a deep understanding of all functional areas within insurance operations, she specializes in accounting/finance, reinsurance, and actuarial/statistical reporting.
Janeen started her career in technology as a software engineer. She transitioned into consulting and was instrumental in building Grant Thornton’s Southwest Region technology practice. She was also part of their national technology training team. Janeen left Grant Thornton to work with Nobel Insurance Company where she served as the Director of IT. After working with Nobel for several years, Janeen left to found the South Carolina branch of Salient’s commercial consulting group. She has been with the practice for 14 years, and now heads the company’s Insurance Productivity Services group as well as providing oversight for all of Salient’s commercial profit centers. Janeen holds an MBA with a specialization in Project Management from Jones International University as well as a BS in Computer Science from Evangel University. She also holds numerous technical and industry certifications.
Colarusso has enjoyed 40 years in the Information Technology profession. Currently he is the CEO of The Copelind Group, a Insurance and Financial Services Technology Consulting company located in Jacksonville, FL.
Previously a Sr. Vice President Insurance Operations and Chief Information Officer for the Cypress Insurance Group, he was responsible for Insurance Operations, Operational Accounting, and Information Systems. He managed the transformation of Cypress from an outsourced BPO model to a totally insourced Enterprise processing model. This included implementation of a Policy Administration System, Billing, Commissions, Agency Portal, General Ledger System and a Data Warehouse with Business Intelligence Analytics.
Prior to Cypress, he was a Senior Director of Applications Development Maintenance with The Main Street America Group and CIO for MML Investor Services, MassMutual’s Insurance affiliated Broker Dealer.
He has been a frequent speaker on technology and strategic application development initiatives and has published articles for several leading business and industry magazines. Mr. Colarusso was named one of the top 2013 CIO’s by Tech Decisions Magazine in their September issue.
Cindy Walker is the Director of Salient’s Data Analytics Center of Excellence, responsible for strategy and innovations spanning predictive analytics, agile business intelligence, and big data solutions for Salient’s clients. An honors graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Cindy has over 25 years of information management and business intelligence expertise and guided successful enterprise transformation, knowledge management, enterprise data management, and information sharing efforts for numerous federal agency and private sector clients. For example, she developed data governance strategies resulting in significant data quality improvements and enhanced confidence in data-driven decisions. She recently guided financial regulatory agencies to develop data governance and analytics strategies to address statutory obligations of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act and to more effectively mitigate global financial system risks. A frequent speaker and trainer at national and international conferences and workshops, Cindy is also an author of numerous articles and white papers on enterprise data management topics. In June 2013, she presented her perspective on Predictive Analytics at the U.S. Department of State’s Moneyball Diplomacy global conference. At the April 2014 Enterprise Data World conference she will present how to strengthen traditional data management approaches and produce high value business insights using semantic technologies with readily available data sources.
To view archive you must log into the ITA web site. Click here to Login.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Personal Lines Insurers Must Innovate and Adapt to Address Predictable Market Changes in the Long- and Short-Term, Says Novarica
- Resort will integrate InsuraGuest’s InsurTech software toprovide hotel guests with protection policy at time of check-in
- Business Owners Combating Distracted Driving with Telematics Technology
- George Jones Assumes CEO Role for Westhill
- Insurers Need New Leadership Skills to Drive Transformational Change, Says Novarica
- Majesco Congratulates MMG Insurance On Receiving the NAMIC Award In Innovation
- Need for Speed-to-Market Driving Nationwide Platform, Powered by Bold Penguin
- Guidewire Software Announces LTI as New Consulting Alliance Partner
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Nowadays, transformation is a top buzzword in the insurance world. But beyond the buzz, it reflects what is happening in the insurance industry today... READ MORE
I am so excited to share our latest research report, “Bringing New Focus to the Transformation Journey: Accelerating Transformation with a New Lens... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE