Are You Really Ready for Big Data? What you need to know about data governance.
Robert Regis Hyle | April 22, 2014
Are You Really Ready for Big Data? What you need to know about data governance.
Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 1PM ET
The insurance world is abuzz with talk of analytics and big data. Unfortunately, most companies are simply not ready to take advantage of these technologies. Why? Because their data is a mess. Whether due to multiple system conversions or merger and acquisition activity, data is segregated and inaccurate. Not to mention that today’s analytics go beyond traditional databases to mine unstructured data as well. This session will discuss how to understand the data you have and create a plan for providing that data in an organized, accurate and consistent format to your organization.
Janeen Blanton is a Vice President with Salient. Her background includes technology management and systems implementation expertise. Janeen possesses a unique combination of strong technical proficiency, business acumen and people management skills. She has worked in the insurance industry for more than 19 years and is proficient in project/program management, operational improvement and strategic planning. While Janeen has a deep understanding of all functional areas within insurance operations, she specializes in accounting/finance, reinsurance, and actuarial/statistical reporting.
Janeen started her career in technology as a software engineer. She transitioned into consulting and was instrumental in building Grant Thornton’s Southwest Region technology practice. She was also part of their national technology training team. Janeen left Grant Thornton to work with Nobel Insurance Company where she served as the Director of IT. After working with Nobel for several years, Janeen left to found the South Carolina branch of Salient’s commercial consulting group. She has been with the practice for 14 years, and now heads the company’s Insurance Productivity Services group as well as providing oversight for all of Salient’s commercial profit centers. Janeen holds an MBA with a specialization in Project Management from Jones International University as well as a BS in Computer Science from Evangel University. She also holds numerous technical and industry certifications.
Colarusso has enjoyed 40 years in the Information Technology profession. Currently he is the CEO of The Copelind Group, a Insurance and Financial Services Technology Consulting company located in Jacksonville, FL.
Previously a Sr. Vice President Insurance Operations and Chief Information Officer for the Cypress Insurance Group, he was responsible for Insurance Operations, Operational Accounting, and Information Systems. He managed the transformation of Cypress from an outsourced BPO model to a totally insourced Enterprise processing model. This included implementation of a Policy Administration System, Billing, Commissions, Agency Portal, General Ledger System and a Data Warehouse with Business Intelligence Analytics.
Prior to Cypress, he was a Senior Director of Applications Development Maintenance with The Main Street America Group and CIO for MML Investor Services, MassMutual’s Insurance affiliated Broker Dealer.
He has been a frequent speaker on technology and strategic application development initiatives and has published articles for several leading business and industry magazines. Mr. Colarusso was named one of the top 2013 CIO’s by Tech Decisions Magazine in their September issue.
Cindy Walker is the Director of Salient’s Data Analytics Center of Excellence, responsible for strategy and innovations spanning predictive analytics, agile business intelligence, and big data solutions for Salient’s clients. An honors graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Cindy has over 25 years of information management and business intelligence expertise and guided successful enterprise transformation, knowledge management, enterprise data management, and information sharing efforts for numerous federal agency and private sector clients. For example, she developed data governance strategies resulting in significant data quality improvements and enhanced confidence in data-driven decisions. She recently guided financial regulatory agencies to develop data governance and analytics strategies to address statutory obligations of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act and to more effectively mitigate global financial system risks. A frequent speaker and trainer at national and international conferences and workshops, Cindy is also an author of numerous articles and white papers on enterprise data management topics. In June 2013, she presented her perspective on Predictive Analytics at the U.S. Department of State’s Moneyball Diplomacy global conference. At the April 2014 Enterprise Data World conference she will present how to strengthen traditional data management approaches and produce high value business insights using semantic technologies with readily available data sources.
To view archive you must log into the ITA web site. Click here to Login.
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Canadian Insurer Deploys Guidewire’s Digital Claims Portal
- UCT Adds Moroz as Sales Director
- National Lloyds Modernizes Distribution with VUE Software
- SE2 and NTT DATA Expand Partnership in Life & Annuity Market
- Sapiens to Leverage Microsoft’s Data Centers for Cloud-Based Services in South Africa
- Alaska National Implements Cincom’s Customer Communications Software
- CIG Successfully Deploys Guidewire Policy, Billing Solutions
- Patriot National Replaces Mariano with Rearer as CEO
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The insurance industry is on the brink of major technology-driven change. IoT, mobile computing, big data, and blockchain ecosystems will bring even... READ MORE
Robert Regis Hyle
Insurance will always be about fulfilling the promise to policyholders when something happens, but in recent years there has been a subtle switch in... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
The core systems replacement cycle is speeding up. Twenty years ago, even if you spent your entire career working at the same insurance company, you... READ MORE
- Partner News