Better Driving Habits at the Core of UBI
Robert Regis Hyle | May 19, 2014
There’s a great deal to be excited about in the insurance industry thanks to the advances technology has provided. Insurers are finally able to dig into their deep bowl of data and scoop out real information thanks to the use of analytics. Insurers no longer need to be convinced their legacy systems are holding them back from a smoother operation. They just need to find the money to pay for new ones.
But nothing tops the challenge and opportunity that awaits personal auto insurers who put together a usage-based insurance program through telematics technology. The clear leader in this technology is Progressive Insurance and the rest of the industry is a distant second.
One reason for the wide gap is Progressive can trace its UBI lineage back almost 20 years. When you’ve been thinking about something that long and working to hone it into a precision tool, it’s hard not to be ahead of the pack.
There’s certainly a lot of envy among personal lines carriers toward what Progressive has accomplished with its Snapshot UBI program thus far, but even more important is what Progressive hopes to do with its Snapshot users: Make them better drivers.
There is some debate over that point among Progressive observers, but as Dave Pratt, general manager of usage-based insurance for Progressive points out, the insurer is working to find ways to educate their customers. For example, there is an audio feedback when customers brake hard, which is one of the primary indicators of poor driving habits. If you never have to slam on your brakes you are likely to never be the cause of an accident.
“Getting that immediate feedback trains those drivers to be aware of situations when they have to hit the brake hard,” he says. “We are confident customers have had fewer accidents because of that feedback. I see that as driver feedback version 1.0. If we can help people drive safer that could be a powerful change for the insurance business.”
Certainly there is a selfish motive on Progressive’s part. If you collect premiums from policyholders and never have to issue a claim you have found the Holy Grail for insurance—or any company that deals with products and services for that matter.
There are other carriers chasing Progressive’s tail, but the task ahead is difficult. Coming up with a quality UBI program is just the beginning of the battle. The real war will come down to marketing that program to consumers. Such battles can be beneficial for consumers, but the biggest winners will no doubt be the advertising venues, particularly television, where millions of dollars will be spent telling you how great their product is.
The final half of this decade will be a battle for the hearts and premiums of American motorists and it will be played out in your living room as much as it will be on the highways and byways of American travel.
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Appointment of Wendy Aarons-Corman as CEO of OWIT Global
- 360Globalnet Connecting with Insurer Community as AAIS Associate Partner
- Agero Names George Horvat as Chief Operations Officer
- FRISS Joins Duck Creek Partner Ecosystem to Provide Risk and Fraud Detection Solutions to Property & Casualty Insurers Worldwide
- Nationwide Announces New Tech Partnership to Improve Safety for Long-Haul Truck Drivers
- Global Investments in Insurtech: Digitalization Taking Hold
- Lucens Group Announces Corporate Name Change to Claimify to Reflect Commitment to its Software Platform
- The Co-operators Drives Innovative Claims Process with Guidewire InsurancePlatform Cloud-Based Predictive Analytics System
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE