Better Driving Habits at the Core of UBI
Robert Regis Hyle | May 19, 2014
There’s a great deal to be excited about in the insurance industry thanks to the advances technology has provided. Insurers are finally able to dig into their deep bowl of data and scoop out real information thanks to the use of analytics. Insurers no longer need to be convinced their legacy systems are holding them back from a smoother operation. They just need to find the money to pay for new ones.
But nothing tops the challenge and opportunity that awaits personal auto insurers who put together a usage-based insurance program through telematics technology. The clear leader in this technology is Progressive Insurance and the rest of the industry is a distant second.
One reason for the wide gap is Progressive can trace its UBI lineage back almost 20 years. When you’ve been thinking about something that long and working to hone it into a precision tool, it’s hard not to be ahead of the pack.
There’s certainly a lot of envy among personal lines carriers toward what Progressive has accomplished with its Snapshot UBI program thus far, but even more important is what Progressive hopes to do with its Snapshot users: Make them better drivers.
There is some debate over that point among Progressive observers, but as Dave Pratt, general manager of usage-based insurance for Progressive points out, the insurer is working to find ways to educate their customers. For example, there is an audio feedback when customers brake hard, which is one of the primary indicators of poor driving habits. If you never have to slam on your brakes you are likely to never be the cause of an accident.
“Getting that immediate feedback trains those drivers to be aware of situations when they have to hit the brake hard,” he says. “We are confident customers have had fewer accidents because of that feedback. I see that as driver feedback version 1.0. If we can help people drive safer that could be a powerful change for the insurance business.”
Certainly there is a selfish motive on Progressive’s part. If you collect premiums from policyholders and never have to issue a claim you have found the Holy Grail for insurance—or any company that deals with products and services for that matter.
There are other carriers chasing Progressive’s tail, but the task ahead is difficult. Coming up with a quality UBI program is just the beginning of the battle. The real war will come down to marketing that program to consumers. Such battles can be beneficial for consumers, but the biggest winners will no doubt be the advertising venues, particularly television, where millions of dollars will be spent telling you how great their product is.
The final half of this decade will be a battle for the hearts and premiums of American motorists and it will be played out in your living room as much as it will be on the highways and byways of American travel.
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- 91% of Insurers Have DevOps Initiatives Underway or Planned, Says Novarica
- Sapiens DECISION Expands Insurance Technology Offering
- EIS Group’s Digital Insurance Platform Deployed for Guardian’s Direct to Consumer Business
- Harford Mutual Insurance Company Selects Sapiens’ North American P&C Insurance Platform
- Insurers Starting to Shift IT Spending to Digital and Data from Core, Says 11th Annual Novarica Report
- Paladin Cyber Launches Comprehensive Cyber-Risk Program for Small and Mid-Sized U.S. Businesses
- Catholic Life Insurance in Production with Sapiens’ E-Application Solution LifeApply for Life and Annuities
- Kaboodle Announces New Partner Alliance with SPLICE Software
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views