Boost Insurance Expands Infrastructure-as-a-Service Platform with Suite of Products
Staff Writer | February 11, 2020
Boost Insurance ("Boost") announced a $14 million Series A round of financing to expand its cutting edge infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) platform that is transforming the insurance industry. The round was co-led by Coatue and Greycroft, with participation from Tusk Venture Partners, Conversion Capital, and MetLife Chairman Glenn Hubbard. Existing investors Norwest Venture Partners and IA Capital Group also participated. The investment brings Boost's total funding to $17 million and will be used to launch new business lines and expand its API services.
Boost makes it simple for companies to offer white-labeled digital insurance solutions to their customers. Boost's partners can be live in a fraction of the time it takes with traditional insurance companies - which typically take 12-48 months to launch a new program. Its tech-forward and data-driven approach make it the ideal platform to create innovative insurance products for the applications that better serve the modern consumer.
Following its recently launched security deposit replacement program with LeaseLock and its SMB commercial cyber insurance program with Cowbell Cyber, Boost today announced the rollout of several new data-driven products that will be offered through a host of innovative distribution partners in 2020, including:
- Startup-Focused Management Liability: the most affordable commercial insurance option for venture-backed startups, which traditionally lack the financial or operating history to qualify for coverage.
- Parental Leave Employer Protection: a groundbreaking financial coverage option for employers, so they can offer new parents impactful time off to spend with their families.
- Pet Insurance: modular health and wellness protection for pets, so it can be offered as part of a subscription service or as a standalone product through a fully digital user experience.
- Identity Theft Protection: consumer protection against the threat of stolen identity and fraudulent transactions, offered by the digital brands that they engage with every day.
Boost's fully compliant IaaS platform comes equipped with the end-to-end insurance infrastructure that is challenging and cost-prohibitive for companies to build in-house. This includes data-driven insurance product development, appointment by an 'A'-rated insurance carrier, and dedicated risk capacity backed by global reinsurers. Available through a simple API integration, Boost also enables automated claims administration, compliance, and sophisticated data analytics for its distribution partners.
"The P&C insurance industry is a $600 billion a year growing market. Boost is uniquely positioned to provide the infrastructure for modern insurance products to be offered by digital innovators across any industry," said Alex Maffeo, CEO and founder of Boost. "We are grateful to partner with this incredible group of investors. Their backing validates the progress we have made towards powering an insurance ecosystem for the modern world."
"Insurance is a natural adjacency that so many companies have the potential to expand into - but building into the vertical can take years. Boost is carving out a new insurtech opportunity by providing the insurance infrastructure needed for brands to bundle insurance offerings and ultimately add more value to their customer bases," said Ellie Wheeler, Partner at Greycroft. "Boost has applied its expertise in both insurance and technology to build that foundation for the entire marketplace, and we believe it will transform the way insurance is bought and sold in this tech-enabled world."
"Coatue invested in Boost because of the momentum they've created across the insurance ecosystem via its simple, API-driven insurance solution," said Bennett Siegel, Partner at Coatue. "Boost drastically reduces the complexity and overhead faced in building a meaningful insurance business - whether its partners are insurtech startups or enterprise-level technology brands. This fundamentally changes the way consumers interact with insurance by enabling them to purchase it from the brands they know and trust. We're excited to collaborate with Boost as it continues to provide the infrastructure for the next generation of insurance."
About Boost Insurance
Boost Insurance powers white-labeled insurance programs for leading technology companies and emerging startups, enabling them to monetize the vertical through a simple platform solution. Through its managing general agency subsidiary, Boost Insurance Agency, Inc., Boost is licensed and authorized to produce any type of insurance across all 50 states and is appointed by 'A'-rated insurance carriers with its own dedicated risk capacity backed by global (re)insurers including Markel Global Reinsurance Company, a Markel Corp company (NYSE: MKL), Renaissance Re Ltd. (NYSE: RNR), and Nephila. Its infrastructure-as-a-service product, or IaaS, packages all the operational and compliance components needed to execute a custom insurance program, including 'A'-rated insurance paper, dedicated risk capacity, and claims administration – all offered digitally through its proprietary policy administration system APIs. For more information, please visit https://boostinsurance.io/
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- RiskGenius Releases COVID Coverage Checklist to Help Commercial Insurers Evaluate Coronavirus Exposure
- Intellagents Adds Infinilytics to Marketplace for Next-Generation Claims Processing Capabilities
- Sancor Seguros do Brazil S.A. Deploys Guidewire InsurancePlatform to Increase Operational Efficiency
- Covid-19: James Allen Creates Pandemic Policy for U.S. Businesses
- Zywave Launches COVID-19 Resource Center
- Sapiens Partners with HazardHub on Real-Time Geographic Risk Data
- Encova Insurance Selects One Inc Digital Payments Platform
- Next Insurance Named One of Forbes' Best Startup Employers 2020
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Case study of how a Fortune 500 employee benefits provider serving 35 million insureds throughout the U.S. and Europe transitioned from in-house... READ MORE
- Vendor Views