Challenge Ahead for Insurance IT Leaders
Robert Regis Hyle | May 12, 2015
If you were unable to attend the recent ITA LIVE conference, the inaugural event put on by the Insurance Technology Association, you missed out on the opportunity to join some challenging discussions led by insurance industry leaders.
The conference got off to a flying start as Steve Mariano, CEO of Patriot National, quickly got the audience’s attention when he warned that the insurance industry is at war with big technology companies who threaten to change the dynamics of the way the industry operates. Mariano delivered the keynote address on Sunday, April 12, and advised insurers that the business and IT units need each other to survive.
“Collaborators will win the next decade,” said Mariano.
The nearly 100 attendees got down to business on Monday, April 13, with the opening session featuring a discussion between Bob Otis, CEO of National Lloyds Corp., and Don MacFarland, representing CastleBay Consulting. As a CEO, Otis found the biggest mistake in internal dialogues takes place when IT is not represented in those discussions.
“If I walk into a meeting and no one from IT is there, I turn around and walk out and tell the organizer to reschedule when IT can be there,” said Otis.
The day continued with a discussion on data that featured Heather Wilson, chief data officer of AIG, and Miguel Edwards of Allstate. Wilson told the audience the value of data goes beyond simply better business decisions.
Insurance data, she said, “can make the world a safer place.”
Other discussions that day included:
- Denise Garth of Strategy Meets Action, led a discussion on emerging technology with Bill Hartnett of Hartnett Advisors, and Karen Elliott of Great American Insurance. The discussion centered on the speed of change in the world and technology’s place in both life and business
- Ryan Pinney of Pinney Insurance Center discussed the competition insurers face for producers and agencies
- Karlyn Carnahan of Celent talked about how gamification has changed the way many people look at insurance and how fitness apps and other technology allow customers to focus on their coverage
- Larissa Tosch of Glatfelter Insurance led a lively panel of insurance solution providers that included Andy Scurto of ISCS, Bruce Broussard of Insurity, Matt Blackley of Maple Technologies; and Ralph Severini of Hyland Software
The final day of ITA LIVE featured a much-anticipated report on cybersecurity prepared by Salient Commercial Solutions that featured the results of a study on ethical hacking conducted on the systems of 10 insurance carriers that volunteered for the study. Janeen Blanton of Salient was joined by Tom Dunbar of XL Group. Of the 10 companies attacked, all 10 showed vulnerabilities, with major problems found with eight of the companies.
Blanton told the audience that 70 percent of most system errors could be avoided by applying available updates and patches. Dunbar reminded everyone there are better ways to use a customer’s data without exposing private information to hackers.
Also discussed on the final day of ITA LIVE were:
- Marissa Buckley of Security First Insurance and David Broscious of Great American Insurance explained how their companies have gained advantages through the use of mobile technology for their customers
- Jerry Luftman, PhD of Global Institute of IT Management and Tracey Berg of West Bend Mutual revealed the results of a report conducted by the GIIM and what business and IT leaders see in the future
ITA LIVE also featured the presentation of the first ITA Bridge Award, which was given to Gary Ouellette and Lisa Keysar of Union Mutual of Vermont for demonstrating the ability to bridge a connection between the business units of Union Mutual and the carrier’s IT department. Jim Daggett, executive director of the ITA presented the award to Ouellette.
Daggett also announced that with the success of the inaugural event, there will be a second annual ITA LIVE conference to be held in the spring of 2016.
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Crawford Technologies Announces Release of ePresentment Gateway for Box
- New Study of More than 100 Insurers Finds Success Among Early Adopters of Emerging Tech, Says Novarica
- Anshuman Purohit Assumes Senior Technology Leadership Role at CastleBay Companies
- AVYST Welcomes Kitty Ambers as Chief Growth Officer
- Agero Strengthens Executive Team with Bill Gerraughty as Chief Financial Officer
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- 2019 Global Insurance Accelerator Cohort Reflects Evolution of InsurTech
- Nearly 50% of US Insurers Are Enhancing Security Capabilities Across the Board, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE