Common Lessons for Insurers in Modernizing Policy Systems
Karen Furtado | February 10, 2015
Modern core systems are essential to an insurer’s ability to compete effectively in today’s increasingly complex and dynamic market. Policy administration systems (PAS) in particular are ripe for modernization—the PAS is the heart of an insurer’s operations, and it provides the information that feeds other core systems as well as most of the secondary systems like document management and agent portals.
Insurers know that modernization is an inevitable step on the journey forward. The exciting news is that the industry as a whole has reached a tipping point where nearly two out of three insurers are engaged in some stage of PAS modernization, whether in the evaluation stage of a new solution or in the actual implementation.
SMA’s recent study, Policy Administration: P&C Plans and Priorities reveals that all insurers know they must take the modernization journey and most are already on the way, although in different phases and at their own pace. Fully 78 percent are planning to replace at least one core system (policy, billing, or claims), and more than half are planning to replace all three. With so many insurers working toward the same goal, there are certain commonalities and lessons to be learned that can be used to make a company’s PAS modernization projects more efficient and effective.
One of the most alarming findings from the research is the substantial challenges that insurers are still experiencing as they work with their systems’ configuration tools. This is the number one feature insurers require in a new PAS, but it is also one of the top challenges they cite in working with the solutions on the market, including issues of handling the work internally.
Our observation is twofold: Evolving PAS solutions are adding and enhancing configuration capabilities, but their usability aspects are still maturing. The second insight is that insurers are coming to realize they must reorganize to some degree to improve their maintenance processes.
The skills and resources that a configuration specialist needs are often assumed to exist but are not always present. Resources that could be trained for this role are typically isolated in the business or IT organizations. There needs to be recognition that there are specialized skills to be learned for configuration and maintenance, and decisions to be made about where this work will be performed.
Core systems modernization is inevitable, and although PAS replacement, the biggest component of that process, demands significant investments of time, resources, and money, most insurers have already begun their adoption of modern core systems.
With so many companies engaged in PAS replacement, we can learn a lot about what makes these projects successful, both before and after implementation. There are challenges ahead, but they are not insurmountable, and the benefits of core systems modernization will be realized for years to come.
For more information on Insurer’s Strategic Initiatives, read SMA’s new research report, Policy Administration: P&C Plans and Priorities. Contact Karen Furtado for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Medical Malpractice Insurers Investing in Analytics and Emerging Tech in Face of Market Pressures, Says Novarica
- Insurtech AI Leader Betterview Appoints Dan Shoham, PhD, as Chief Science Officer
- Vermont Mutual Insurance Group Selects One Inc for Digital Payments
- Insurers Embracing Machine Vision for Underwriting and Claims, Says Novarica
- Nationwide partners with Slice Labs to develop on-demand auto insurance for rideshare drivers
- AM Best Requests Comments on Draft Criteria: Scoring and Assessing Innovation
- Majesco Acquires Insurance Software Business in India
- MEMIC Scholarship for Families of Injured Workers Now Accepting Applications
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
There are so many great advances in the area of smart homes and buildings, it makes me wonder what the actual impact has been, or what I might have... READ MORE
This month, the ITA celebrates Insurance Careers Month and encourages carriers, brokers, agents and our industry associations to plan their own... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE