Defining Terms in the Digital Revolution
Denise Garth | August 11, 2014
Just like the opening lines of Hamlet's famous soliloquy, "To be or not to be, that is the question," another question is being asked in that familiar way about the terms digitize vs. digitalize. Should we use digitize or digitalize to represent the digital revolution that is sweeping the way we communicate, do business, and experience almost everything else?
These terms are used interchangeably in the industry, often creating academic or philosophic discussions around the proper or correct word to be used. This was most evident at a recent industry conferences with a wide array of speakers from within and outside the industry. So, to digitize or to digitalize… What do the experts say?
Based on Webster's College Dictionary circa 2010, the definition of digitalize is: 1) to treat with a regimen of digitalis so as to achieve or maintain adequate pumping action of the heart; and 2) to digitize. The definition of digitize? To convert data to digital form and indicates digitize is also digitalize. So which term should the industry use? Do either of these definitions capture the real substance of the rapid changes that are underway, underpinned by technology?
We don't think so, not alone or completely, anyway. But we believe the word digitalize represents, frames, and discusses the broader scope and implications of the digital revolution. Digitize is a subset of the concept represented by the word digitalize.
- First, the digital revolution is much more than converting data to a digital form. It is about a new, adaptive, and interactive framework that defines a unified digital strategy that becomes the heart of the digital enterprise and pumps new energy, ideas, and innovation across the enterprise, which will redefine the business processes, revenue models, and ultimately the business model.
- Second, it is more than the conversion of data and information into digital formats that are consumed by technology. The graphical representation of the digital data allows ease of reading and encourages engagement by the customer, often leading to capturing more data about the customer.
- Third, it is embracing the use of business intelligence and analytics with data, whether structured or unstructured, to provide insights and analysis for the business. In addition, embedding the analytics within the business processes provides real-time analysis and decisioning in the fast-paced digital world.
- And finally, it is about using any technology platform for delivering information, whether mobile phone, video, website, tablet, social media, or others. It is about delivering any information, anytime, anywhere, and in any way.
The digital revolution is being powered by today's hyper-connected world. And it is creating new experiences, new products and services, new outcomes, new business and revenue models, and an explosion of data from new and emerging technologies such as mobile, social media, and the Internet of Things. The combination of these factors is transforming or creating new businesses, from managing value chains to managing ecosystems, powered by the fusion of technology and data. It is expanding our strategic views, definitions, and use of words.
To capture the breadth, depth, and transformative potential of this digital revolution, embrace digitalization. SMA has. Will you?
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- 91% of Insurers Have DevOps Initiatives Underway or Planned, Says Novarica
- Sapiens DECISION Expands Insurance Technology Offering
- EIS Group’s Digital Insurance Platform Deployed for Guardian’s Direct to Consumer Business
- Harford Mutual Insurance Company Selects Sapiens’ North American P&C Insurance Platform
- Insurers Starting to Shift IT Spending to Digital and Data from Core, Says 11th Annual Novarica Report
- Paladin Cyber Launches Comprehensive Cyber-Risk Program for Small and Mid-Sized U.S. Businesses
- Catholic Life Insurance in Production with Sapiens’ E-Application Solution LifeApply for Life and Annuities
- Kaboodle Announces New Partner Alliance with SPLICE Software
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views