Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
Denise Garth | September 21, 2020
“We’ve seen two years’ worth of digital transformation in two months. From remote teamwork and learning, to sales and customer service, to critical cloud infrastructure and security—we are working alongside customers every day to help them adapt and stay open for business in a world of remote everything.” – Satya Nadella, CEO Microsoft.
This statement was on April 30 – just two months into COVID – and reflects the pace of change and acceleration of digital transformation across all industries, including insurance. And tremendous changes are still on the horizon for insurance. The pace continues to gather speed and dominate C-level discussions and planning.
Today’s changes require insurers to gain clarity on how to succeed in the future of insurance. Future market leadership and success will be defined by a new digital foundation and business model that embraces customer, technology and market boundary changes with vision, energy and speed. This year’s Strategic Priorities report found that forward-thinking leaders are digitally transforming their current business, while also disrupting it by building their business model for the future. The gap between Leaders and Followers and Laggards over the last year and the next three years is staggering:
- In the past year, Laggards had a 41% gap to Leaders; and Followers, had a 15% gap to Leaders.
- Over the next three years, the gap widens with Laggards and Followers falling further behind Leaders, with 62% and 21% gaps, respectively.
The era of succeeding as a “fast-follower” is long gone. Today’s Leaders are reallocating their investments into digital transformation that gives them a compelling, engaging customer-centric approach that differentiates them in a new era of insurance.
How do your strategies align to what leaders are doing? What specific plans can you take to improve your odds of success? How can you accelerate your digital transformation? These questions and more are what the just announced strategic alliance between Majesco and KPMG are focused on: to provide a sustainable, risk-optimized route from strategy through execution for insurers by leveraging the Majesco Digital1st® Insurance platform and KPMG’s Connected Enterprise framework to enable digital strategies and business models.
In Gartner’s Emerging Risks Monitor Report from earlier this year, they noted that “organizations are concerned about their ability to keep up with a rapidly changing business landscape, driven in part by concerns about their own organizations’ lagging and misconceived digitalization strategies.” This is a profound statement. Insurance still embraces decades of legacy business assumptions and technologies that are roadblocks on the path to digital maturity. Why is this important?
Because KPMG’s research, compiled from various studies, found that that digitally mature organizations out-perform less mature organizations. How? Digitally mature organizations had 25% higher revenue growth and 31% higher EBIDTA over the last 3 years, 11% higher net promoter score and higher speed to market by 17 months! Digitally mature organizations not only operate more effectively, they are obsessed with their customers and with defining, unlocking and preserving value for both the customer and their business.
For too many insurers who lack digital maturity, this difference and the growing gap between Leaders and Followers and Laggards should be a strong motivator to move forward on the journey and get ahead of the curve … now.
The Path to Digital Maturity
Visionary leaders see the market, customer and technological trends as a many-fold opportunity for insurance — and are preparing to use new sources of data, reach new market segments, offer innovative new products needed by customers, create exceptional customer experiences, leverage new channels and more. KPMG’s recent report, 2020 CEO Outlook, found that the top priorities were focused on: digitization of operations (74%); new digital business models (70%); the creation of a seamless experience (73%); and a new workforce model augmenting people with AI (66%).
Majesco’s research echoed a similar sentiment and indicated that leaders are moving forward with a cloud-based no code / low code platform utilizing microservices and open APIs (64%); are envisioning and experimenting with new digital experiences (68%); and are focused on digital ecosystems and partnerships (45%) that will allow them to stay out ahead of the trend and the marketplace.
This is why Leaders are accelerating their digital journey across three key areas as depicted in Majesco’s Digital Maturity Model (below):
- Digitize - Create Portals for Traditional Products & Channels for Digitization & Automation of Existing Processes
- Optimize - Expand Customer Engagement beyond Transactional Interactions to Broader Customer Experiences
- Innovate - Launch New & Innovative Products & Services to Transform to Digital Operating and Business Models
Insurers can start at any point on this maturity curve – from focusing on today’s business or by creating the business for the future. Regardless, having a single digital no code / low code platform with rich insurance content and a robust digital ecosystem of partners to enable this journey across a wide array of business scenarios, is crucial for success.
But acceleration means traditional methods have to be adapted to meet the time pressures. This is where the KPMG and Majesco alliance is so powerful – with use cases pre-built in Digital1st® using KPMG’s methods for design thinking in a virtual world that can rapidly demonstrate value in weeks or months, rather than years. Some of these use cases include:
- P&C multi-channel personalized quoting
- Portfolio-level servicing
- P&C Intelligent claims intake
- P&C action-driven underwriting workbench
- L&A pipeline insights and next best action
- L&A personalized products and underwriting
And that is just a snippet of the possibilities to jump start or accelerate digital transformation!
Digital Maturity - From Good to Great
The book by Jim Collins, Good to Great, published nearly 20 years ago, is still so relevant in today’s digital age. While many different concepts were discussed in the book, the key to success was leadership. A key to that leadership is having the right people in the right positions to create an environment for success. They have a vision and goals for success and constantly review and act on data or results to “make it better.”
In today’s digital world that is about creating an environment that enables “test and learn” and innovation. And the theme is speed to market. While there is design work to take advantage of better insights and interactions, having access to a robust insurance ecosystem and pre-integrated and pre-built insurance content within a no code / low code platform allows insurers to focus on their unique application and competitive differentiation in the experience.
Insurers need to do some future-thinking around real-time risk assessment, and re-imagine customer journeys to move beyond a portal to a new customer experience, to create new products, offer new services and innovate their business models through a no code / low code platform like Majesco Digital1stâ Insurance that has rich insurance content and pre-built plug and play ecosystem design that will accelerate their digital transformation and maturity.
Companies that procrastinate are increasing their risk of irrelevance, because as the pace of change accelerates, their ability to adapt diminishes. This is why taking action now is crucial. The time for plans and execution is now — recognizing that the gap is widening and the timeframe to respond is closing. Leaders are positioned to succeed.
- New MIT Sloan Study Finds Few Companies Gain Big Benefits from AI
- The September/October ITA Pro magazine is here!
- “Being Right” is Just the Start of the Battle
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Insurity Strengthens Billing and Payments Offerings with Bill It Now Acquisition
- Hyland Completes Acquisition of Alfresco
- Swiss Re Corporate Solutions Implements Majesco Digital1st Insurance and Majesco Policy for P&C
- Sandra Wijnberg Joins Hippo’s Board of Directors
- Liberty Mutual Selects CoreLogic for Deployment of New Property Estimation Platform
- Insurtech Coterie Teams Up with Intuit QuickBooks
- Life.io and Unqork Announce Partnership to Power New Digital Capabilities
- Convr Launches Convr Insider, Complimentary Underwriting Tool for Commercial P&C Carriers
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
HazardHub CEO Bob Frady shares why even when they do everything right on a POC, insurtechs sometimes strike out... READ MORE
Majesco's Denise Garth talks to Rob Galbraith and Bryan Falchuk about how insurance is rethinking strategic planning in light of tremendous change... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE