EIS Group Enhances Underwriting Solution for Benefits Insurers
Staff Writer | September 13, 2016
EIS Group announces significant enhancements to the underwriting capabilities available in its latest version of EIS PolicyCore, the company’s policy administration solution. The new features in PolicyCore enable benefits insurers to take advantage of growth opportunities in the small case voluntary insurance market with the advent of healthcare reform and the rise of benefits exchanges.
"Small employers are a key component in driving economic growth, but their needs and abilities for delivering employee benefits are vastly different than the corresponding capabilities for large employers,” says Rob McIsaac, senior vice president, research and consulting, for Novarica. “To effectively and profitably serve this small case market, carriers may need to find better ways to support the underwriting process. The legacy tools and processes which have done the job for large group contracts may not be up to the task of handling the functions needed for this emerging and highly competitive segment.”
A significant market opportunity exists among U.S. employers with under 500 employees, which totals 42 million employees. Benefits insurance research advisory firm Eastbridge reports that these employers are increasing their voluntary product offerings and that 84 percent of small case brokers expect voluntary revenue to increase as a percentage of their total business. The new release of EIS PolicyCore is designed to address this opportunity by streamlining underwriting processes for employers, brokers and insurers.
Key enhancements to PolicyCore that enable an efficient new business process from quote to issue for voluntary insurance include:
- Flexible Plan Creation – EIS’ spreadsheet-paradigm rules engine is leveraged to provide underwriters with a user-friendly environment to streamline product development by configuring an unlimited number of product, plan, coverage, and package eligibility options and parameters using spreadsheets. Included is a new Microsoft Excel add-in that enables business users to import plan data, make changes, and save it back into PolicyCore.
- Field-based Quoting – New and enhanced underwriting rules and authorities allow the underwriting organization to distribute workload within their new business departments and to the field. Field-based quoting allows underwriting to take place where the risks are most understood while automating referral of complex cases to specialized underwriters. The result is better quality underwriting, better utilization of resources and reduced new business cycle times.
- Automated Census Import – A new automated census import utility eliminates the laborious and error-prone entry of risk-based data into systems while also delivering an easy-to-do-business-with experience for producers and customers. The import utility allows the underwriter to map to the layout of the customer-supplied file, perform field level validation and automatically integrate with the EIS rating engine, thereby saving valuable time for both underwriters and customers’ HR departments while reducing errors.
- Rate Reporting and Tracking – Rating reports provide underwriters with insight on pricing formulae to help understand and explain how rates change based on plan changes, thereby improving broker satisfaction. Additionally, rate tracking reports are available to track and measure manual rate through to installed rate to help carriers manage profitability.
“By introducing these advanced underwriting capabilities, EIS Group has again addressed a gap in insurance technology that could be an impediment to growth,” says Tony Grosso, vice president of product and industry marketing at EIS Group. “Our customers have been quick to leverage our latest software release to overcome legacy system constraints to small case market expansion. Strengthened underwriting capabilities are the latest step in the evolution of our core insurance platform for benefits insurers, and follow the introduction of full claims management and flexible billing management into the platform over the last twelve months.”
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Tower Selects EIS Group’s Insurance Platform to Drive Transformation
- NTUC Income Selects Majesco Distribution Management and Majesco Digital Solutions to Advance its Distribution Management Operation
- Emerson Reid Modernizes Its Business Processes With VUE Software
- Octo Telematics Powers CAA MyPace™ Pay-As-You-Go Program
- Announcing the Solartis Insure Microservice Hackathon
- DataCubes Completes Plug and Play Tech Accelerator Program
- Medical Mutual of Ohio Implements One Inc Digital Payments
- SUNZ Insurance in Production with Sapiens’ Workers’ Compensation CompSuite® Policy System
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views