Electronic Chat -- Jason Liu
Bill Sinn | November 15, 2018
Jason Liu is the new CEO of Zywave, a privately held software company headquartered in Milwaukee, WI. Founded in 1995 as a regional brokerage firm, Zywave has transformed itself into a leading provider of software-as-a service (SaaS) products for insurance brokers and financial planners. Its software suite is designed to help independent brokers safeguard their current book of business, win new accounts and attract top talent. This growing company has annual revenue of $100M and services over 5,500 customers. With new leadership, greater R&D investment, and a focus on an open platform approach, Jason Liu is building Zywave to be a better partner in the agent/broker community.
What were your reasons for taking charge at Zywave?
From a professional perspective, I am intrigued by the dynamic of massive disruption in the insurance tech space, and all the opportunities it creates. Producers and carriers are charged with growing revenue while engaging with an increasingly tech savvy buyer. Zywave is poised to guide the industry with that transformation. On a personal note, Zywave has a fantastic company culture, with a team of 400+ dedicated and driven employees. We are based here in Milwaukee, creating a real connection for me as I’m originally from the Midwest.
What is your vision for the company today? Where would you like the company to be in 3-5 years?
For the past 6 months I have been meeting with customers and listening deeply to truly understand their needs. Our vision for today and the next 5 years is crafted based on this feedback. We strive to provide positive impact by innovating solutions with two primary focuses in mind. First, to educate on the business value of a strong front office solution, which dramatically improves seller and producer performance. An impactful sales and client delivery engine adds value to business and creates true customer loyalty. Secondly, we advocate for open architecture of all insurance tech solutions, consolidating a typically fragmented tech stack in order to increase business efficiency. We are, as we speak, investing and building our product portfolio according to this vision.
What are the keys to the growth of Zywave in the insurance industry?
We have a strength in the benefits practice, and will look to grow organically within that space. We will then accelerate acquisition efforts to round out our portfolio for the P&C and commercial markets. Key to growth is innovating smart technology, then offering the market’s most robust front office technology suite. Everything we develop or acquire will be focused on increasing business efficiency and supporting customer growth.
Another critical key to growth is maintaining our exceptional customer support and educational offerings, great company culture and dedicated team of professionals.
You’ve had several acquisitions over the last few years. How have they helped your company?
Acquisitions are absolutely a significant part of our growth plans; we expect to make multiple acquisitions every year driving about half our company growth.
Within the past three years we have acquired Intygral, HR360 and most recent Code SixFour. Acquisitions are always based on what we are hearing in the market, and what we hear from our customers regarding their requirements.
Solutions we bring into the Zywave family expand our portfolio and enhance our human capital. Most recently with the Code SixFour acquisition we added the ability to integrate to other platforms (Microsoft Dynmaics, Salesforce and more), in line with our open platform strategy. We also welcomed Eric Rentch who will lead our Product Management team. His knowledge and ability to drive innovation is a huge asset to us.
Your profile mentions that you have been a bit “adventurous” over the years (running with the bulls, African safaris, etc.) What have you learned from those experiences? And how have they helped you with leading companies like Zywave?
I do enjoy trying new things and being challenged in adventurous situations. My wife and I ran with the bulls in Pamplona which was fantastic. We planned quite a bit prior to the trip -- not only reading books but reviewing the layout of the area the day before. Because we planned so heavily, we were able to run with the bulls and make it into the stadium at the end, which was the best part of the experience. If we wouldn’t have planned, we might have been injured, or not been able to finish. I apply those theories to business as well, planning ahead and then adapting along the way in order to achieve a great outcome.
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Lucens Group Announces Corporate Name Change to Claimify to Reflect Commitment to its Software Platform
- The Co-operators Drives Innovative Claims Process with Guidewire InsurancePlatform Cloud-Based Predictive Analytics System
- Insurance Technologies Releases FireLight® e-Delivery to Seamlessly Automate the Delivery of All Insurance and Retirement Policies and Documents
- Global IQX API Unleashes Wealth of Data for Employee Benefits Insurers
- Survey: Millennial business owners most likely generation to work with insurance agents
- Duck Creek Technologies Reports 85% Bookings Growth and 30% Revenue Growth in SaaS-Delivered Enterprise Software Solutions for Fiscal Year 2018
- Optimum General Selects Guidewire InsurancePlatform for Core Operations
- Blue Cod Technologies Announces Corporate Name Change to Activer Solutions
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE