Electronic Chat: Ken Mitchel
Robert Regis Hyle | September 15, 2015
The Electronic Chat is a regular feature of ITA Pro magazine and the ITApro.org website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader and look for thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
This issue we chat with Ken Mitchel who, when not training for his next mountain climbing expedition, serves as the director of IT for Clements Worldwide, a multiline global MGA specializing in expatriate insurance and commercial risks in over 170 countries. At Clements, Mitchel is responsible for global IT infrastructure, enterprise systems and portals, and IT project management. Mitchel joined Clements Worldwide in 2007, and recently completed a core policy administration system replacement for the company. Prior to joining the Clements team, Mitchel served as the vice president of IT for a regional Mid-Atlantic auto carrier, where he successfully implemented a complete legacy systems replacement and served in both executive IT and insurance product management roles. Mitchel is also a member of the ITA advisory board.
ITA: What is the biggest leadership challenge you face in IT and how do you deal with it?
Mitchel: The biggest challenge we are facing in our business is rapid change. Working for a fast-growing international multi-line MGA, there is considerable multi-faceted change. Whether we are driving the change to exploit new market opportunities or the change is forced upon us by global regulation or carrier demands, we need to rapidly change systems to keep up. From a systems standpoint, we stay on pace by placing a premium on implementing systems that are flexible and configurable. From a cultural standpoint, the IT team mirrors the rest of the business and places an emphasis on collaboration and using an iterative approach to embrace change and develop solutions.
ITA: What technologies do you feel are under-used in the insurance industry today?
Mitchel: I would say that data mining technologies are under-used for most small to mid-size insurance entities, likely because it is such a large undertaking for small firms to consolidate data from multiple legacy platforms which is critical to make a data mining solution relevant.
ITA: How satisfied are you with the relationship between the business side and IT?
Mitchel: Very satisfied. Because we’re a fast-moving, collaborative, and entrepreneurial culture, we strive to have people in IT who are business people first and IT second. This helps considerably when working with the business because we are the business. It also helps that we have a flat leadership structure where all key partners have a “seat at the table” and problems are solved collaboratively.
ITA: What are your greatest concerns with the way the IT department currently operates?
Mitchel: My greatest concern is ensuring that we are able to move fast enough to keep up with business. This is becoming increasingly challenging with multiple platforms hosted in multiple countries with multiple partners, and new product and compliance initiatives moving ahead at warp speed. Additionally, we want to be able to move quickly while still maintaining the integrity, security, and upgradeability of our growing base of systems.
ITA: How will the operation of your IT department change over the course of the next five years?
Mitchel: I expect our IT department (and most corporate IT departments) to continue the evolution of becoming business-focused first, and increasingly outsourcing the heavy technical aspects of IT. Most corporate IT is already moving in this direction to varying degrees. In this vision, IT is bought like a utility so the business can focus on core competencies that create business value. To realize this vision, the future IT department will increasingly consist of highly-skilled problem solvers who can effectively collaborate with multiple technical and non-technical parties to craft solutions.
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Cloverleaf Analytics Announces Version 2.0 Release
- AmWINS selects ClarionDoor’s Digital Distribution Suite to Power Underwriting Platform
- Ask Kodiak Connects TrustedChoice.com Carrier Appetite to TechCanary Agency Management System
- Seth Bostock Joins Lucens Group as CTO with Vision to Simplify the Disability Insurance Experience
- Life Insurers Enhancing Claims Systems, Novarica Profiles Six Prominent Providers
- HazardHub Releases Frozen Pipe Score, Ice Dam Score and enhanced Weather Variables
- Big Gains & Big Bets in the Independent Insurance Channel
- Life/Annuity Insurers Taking Product and Distribution Strategy Cues from InsureTech, says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views