Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
Laura Mazzuca Toops | November 11, 2019
Russ Bostick is Managing Partner at MVP Advisory Group, established in 2013 to provide consulting and advisory services specifically for the insurance industry to accelerate the development and implementation of business transformation initiatives. Russ is responsible for recruiting, onboarding, and alliances at MVP. He specializes in delivering solution sets for C-Suite Advisory, Operations and IT Transformation for the Life, Annuity and Supplemental Health insurance industry and the third-party administrators that serve those segments.
How did you become involved with MVP?
Donn Vucovich and I co-founded MVP in 2013. We were officers at CNA Insurance in the ‘90s when it was a full multi-line carrier. Donn leads our P&C consulting segment and I lead the Life practice. Our deep individual experience in each line of insurance allows us to address the full range of client issues and opportunities.
What are the most significant changes you’ve seen in the insurance industry since you began your career?
When I started my career, carriers did it all – from the cafeteria worker to the exclusive agent – all of the staff were employees, or nearly so. Today, you can construct an insurance ecosystem any number of ways. This has encouraged both innovation and efficiency.
Where do you see the relationship between traditional insurers and insurtech start-ups headed in the next few years?
They are in different businesses. Traditional insurers are in the risk management business. Among other things, insurtech start-ups provide them with new and innovative ways to sell policies, underwrite risks, access markets, and manage claims. More importantly, most Insurtechs are populated by entrepreneurs from outside the industry. As a result, they are providing traditional insurers with living laboratories for the trial of new approaches to acquire and manage risks.
What technology trend are you most excited about as it relates to the insurance industry?
We have barely scratched the surface of what will be possible in 20 years using data analytics and machine learning. If I were just starting my career today, I would push my way into that party. They say that football is a game of inches. Well, insurance is a game of managing thin margins. In both games, the leader who thinks analytically and strategically comes out on top. What better way to do that than through analytics and machine learning?
What unique challenges does the life insurance industry face as it relates to insurtech?
The life insurance market doesn’t have as many moments of truth or customer decision points as the property/casualty industry. Consequently, it takes longer to prove or disprove the merits of a new idea. And the ultimate market isn’t as big. Real innovation takes longer to catch on in life insurance.
What words of wisdom would you share with a life insurance industry newcomer?
Besides “data” instead of “plastics”? I would say take some time to really understand why the industry actually works well, given the constraints of regulation and the slow emergence of profits or losses. After that, figure out how to address the opportunities that technology innovation makes available. Most of all, keep in mind that the life insurance industry only exists because it serves real, enduring needs – the protection of families and institutions from the effects of unexpected losses and the preservation of capital for future generations.
What are your interests and passions outside of work?
I love the outdoors and I’m a student of history. Put me in a tent or my travel trailer with a good set of books and I’m living the dream.
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- SDRefinery Rebrands to Reflect Evolving Business Model and Announces New Appointments
- Zywave Acquires Data Analytics Provider miEdge
- Trov Launches White-Label Renters Insurance Application in Partnership with Lloyds Banking Group
- Bestow Announces Executive Hires
- OCTO Acquires Nebula Systems, Reinforcing Leadership in Intelligent Vehicle Diagnostics
- Eastern Alliance Insurance Group Selects Insurity’s Cloud-hosted “Workers’ CompXPress Suite”
- SageSure Insurance Managers Appoints Paul VanderMarck to Accelerate Innovation
- The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group Deploys Guidewire InsurancePlatform in Deloitte’s InsurCloud
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE