Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
Laura Mazzuca Toops | December 16, 2019
Wendy Aarons-Corman has more than 30 years’ experience in both IT and insurance, from her earliest days as a software developer on the underwriting side, through her job of introducing the nascent Duck Creek Technologies product to the insurance industry. She is currently CEO and President of OWIT Global, a global insurance technology provider whose portfolio centers on microservices for both P&C and A&H, including user experience services, bordereaux services, rating services, ETL services, document services.
What do you see as the biggest challenge facing insurance today?
Time. It takes time to stay on top of new technology and participate, and everyone only has so much time. Some companies have created digital platform officers or innovation officers whose jobs are specifically to watch new technology, but that’s a luxury. It ties back to the importance of having a business case when investing in new technology: I can be the “innovation guy” and see how all this stuff could make our lives easier, but if I’m on a massive policy replacement or bringing on a new book of business, I just don’t have the time -- unless the company is investing in more people to do that type of work, from concept to prototyping to prioritizing. It’s complex.
In your experience on both the tech and insurance side, you’ve seen how insurance has traditionally been reluctant to quickly adopt new technology. With the advent of insurtech, do you feel we’re at a “make or break” moment for insurers to embrace technology?
It all ties back to what consumers want. Insurance company marketing departments should be on top of what buyers need in terms of technology. They must understand the demographics of consumers. One of the first customers Duck Creek had was esurance, which is now owned by Allstate – we sold them rating engines. This was an amazing, innovative insurance company and an interesting business model that knew what consumers needed. Well, it’s been years since they used Duck Creek rating engines and times and tech have changed to mobile and people buying insurance direct. A lot of it goes back to understanding the buyers and their needs and taking the time to understand demographics and use of technology. My 25-year-old daughter wouldn’t even know how to go to an insurance agent. If that’s the next generation, you need to research what they want, and a lot of it involves trial and error. The big driver of insurtech to begin with is seeing what people need. And startups are the demographic; they are the customer.
How would you define “insurtech”?
I don’t know if it’s just a buzzword for insurance technology. Some people define it as upcoming insurance technology. I don’t consider my business an insurtech – I am an insurance technology provider, a startup, but I’m also a traditional startup because I have very well-versed, intelligent insurance software solutions resources: people who have developed it, business analysts, with lots of experience. We have acquired three new customers through the traditional process of insurance technology sales; we sound like the opposite of an insurtech startup.
How do you predict insurtech will evolve over the next five years?
What’s happening at OWIT demonstrates it. Distribution will always be a need, but dealing with other providers will become a bigger deal. For example, if you sell homeowners, IoT can hook into smart technology to help you underwrite -- that’s in the future for sure. Think about the pathway of analytics. Around 1999, analytic vendors began making their way into the industry, and nobody cared; it was a complete uphill battle for them. People just used traditional underwriting; they sat at round tables and talked about risk. Then suddenly it hit insurers: “I can underwrite with all this information!” Remember how AI was such a big deal? That’s where data analytics was at the time. Valen Technologies comes to mind; they got some buyers and people really began to see the value. Then other people started coming out with analytics tools. Cyberinsurance is a developing area.
And it’s also about extending systems to reach other suppliers of information – not just about analytics, but about smart data as we’re getting more information. With all the information coming in from your car, smart appliances – the more smart technology you have, the lower the risk. That’s why APIs are important – they expose data so you can connect to it. We might become more of a preventative than a reactionary society.
How will privacy and regulatory issues play out in the near future?
As the mobile user experience changes and becomes more intuitive, the issue of security privacy will grow in importance and complexity because all the traditional aspects of insurance are still in play through all this information sharing. There’s lots of opportunity for automation and streamlining to follow these rules – and probably a lot of business opportunity there, too.
# # #
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Hi Marley Raises $8 million for AI Messaging Platform
- UDoTest Launches COVID-19 Employer Testing Platform
- Beazley Completes Guidewire London Market ECF Integration
- Aclaimant Raises $10 mil in Series A Financing
- Quadient, Kitewheel Partner on Customer Journey Explorer
- Milliman Wins 3 InsuranceERM Americas Awards for Insurtech Products and Risk Consulting Services
- Insurity Acquires Epic-Premier to Advance Leadership in the MGA Market
- CNA Launches The View From Home, Providing Long-Term Care Policyholders Added Support While Aging in Place
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE