Erie Insurance, Digital Partners/Slice Labs Partnership Awarded 2017 ITA Bridge Awards
Robert Regis Hyle | March 13, 2017
The Insurance Technology Association (ITA) announces that representatives of Erie Insurance Group and a collaboration between the Digital Partners, a Munich Re company, and insurtech startup Slice Labs, are each winners of the third annual ITA Bridge Awards. The awards were presented at ITA LIVE, the ITA’s annual conference held this week at the Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Pompano Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.
The ITA Bridge Award honors insurance IT leaders and their counterparts on the business side, according to Jim Daggett, executive director of the ITA. Business opportunities are sometimes lost and IT implementations often fail when leaders from IT and the business side fail to collaborate effectively and “bridge” the gap between technology and business, explains Daggett (far right in photo).
“This is our third year to hand out the ITA Bridge Award and we were once again impressed by the quality of the nominations,” says Daggett. “When we submitted the finalists to our advisory board they were evenly split on who should win this year’s award. We thought about asking for a second vote to get one clear winner, but after looking through the Erie and Digital Partners/Slice Lab submissions we agreed that both were deserving of the honor.”
The Erie winners are Ruben Fechner, senior vice president, information technology (third from left in photo), and Sherri Silver, senior vice president strategic marketing (second from left in photo). The Erie team worked to improve the claims process for its customers by automating where possible while continuing to follow the company’s mandate for retaining the human touch when working with customers.
The second Bridge Award was presented to Andrew Rear, chief executive of Digital Partners (not seen in photo), and Tim Attia, CEO of Slice Labs (far left in photo). The backing provided to insurtech startup Slice Labs by the Digital Partners unit of Munich Re enabled Slice to launch its first product for homeowners, which is now available in six states, who rent their homes through online services such as Airbnb. Slice also is working to launch a rideshare product for drivers of companies such as Uber and Lyft.
“We’ve worked closely with Digital Partners to reimagine the insurance process and build a truly digital-only insurer,” says Tim Attia, CEO and co-founder of Slice. “It’s an honor for the industry to recognize this and to receive the Bridge Award.”
“Bridging the gap between the business operation and technology with Slice helped us develop a new approach and solution in an evolving insurance market,” says Andy Rear, chief executive, Digital Partners. “We are honored to be recognized for our collaboration with Slice with the Bridge Award.”
The ITA Bridge Award is presented to both an IT leader and a business executive or executives in any of the insurance industry business functions, including underwriting, claims, finance, customer service, actuarial or marketing for a North American insurance company.
Nominations were accepted from insurance companies, software solution providers and industry consultants. The award is reflective of a long-term connectivity between the business unit and IT that demonstrates how an insurance company can operate effectively.
The full story of each of the 2017 winners is featured in the March issue of ITA Pro magazine, the official publication of the ITA.
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Sapiens DECISION Recognized as a “Hot Vendor in Digital Business Platforms, 2017”
- DATAMATX Announces Prelude Software as New Solutions Partner
- Quadient Appoints Christian Hartigan President and General Manager of the Americas
- Gibraltar BSN Life Berhad Selects Majesco Distribution Management and Majesco Digital Solutions
- Desjardins General Insurance Group Deploys EIS Suite for Commercial Lines
- Acuity Modernizes Customer Communications Management with OpenText Exstream and ValueMomentum
- COUNTRY Financial Joins Roost’s Home Telematics Program
- Roost partners with The Weather Company
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views