Executives from Union Mutual of Vermont Win First ITA Bridge Award
Robert Regis Hyle | April 13, 2015
The Insurance Technology Association (ITA) announces that Lisa L. Keysar and Gary H. Ouellette, executives with Union Mutual of Vermont Companies, are the winners of the first ITA Bridge Award. The award was presented at ITA LIVE, the ITA’s inaugural event held this week at the Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa.
(Shown in the photo above are Jim Daggett, executive director of ITA, Gary Ouellette, senior vice president of operations for Union Mutual of Vermont, and Michael Nobles, president and CEO of Union Mutual.)
Keysar serves as senior vice president of client services and Ouellette is the senior vice president of operations for Union Mutual of Vermont. The two worked closely to develop an effective, responsive, and sustainable means to assure the insurer’s business IT requirements are identified, prioritized and met. In 2013, Union Mutual of Vermont recognized the need to quickly satisfy an ever-growing appetite for ease of doing business in the insurance marketplace. It was clear to the executive leadership increased developmental velocity, unwavering focus on priorities and moving discretionary IT budget to business units control was required for success.
The ITA Bridge Award honors insurance IT leaders and their counterparts on the business side, according to Jim Daggett, executive director of the ITA. Business opportunities are sometimes lost and IT implementations often fail when leaders from IT and the business side fail to collaborate effectively and “bridge” the gap between technology and business, explains Daggett.
“The ITA is proud to start this award program for the industry and we feel particularly fortunate to have found such worthy people to recognize with the first ITA Bridge Award,” says Daggett. “Their ability to collaborate on important issues facing Union Mutual serves as a great example for all of us on how successful companies need to operate.”
“We are excited to earn this national-level award as recognition of our creative approach to solving challenging problems,” says Michael W. Nobles, president and CEO of Union Mutual. “The hard work Lisa and Gary, along with their teams, put into bridging the space between our business needs and IT’s ability to execute change made this all possible.”
“It took a leader on the business side to step up and say, ‘Yes, I am willing to take on this role...in addition to my day job.’ Lisa did just that and was able to leverage her familiarity with IT process to make it an easy fit,” says Ouellette. “We refer to Lisa as our ‘real-time steering committee,’ which fits our agile development model and streamlines what was previously a cumbersome process is now an efficient, repeatable and sustainable one.”
“We have a good understanding of the systems and we serve as a conduit to the agents on a daily basis through the help desk,” says Keysar. “It’s pretty natural to work with Gary on what needs to be improved, fixed or enhanced and understand the needs of the business units. It’s been a fairly easy partnership.”
“Bridging this gap was the last piece of the puzzle, combined with our strong project management office and IT teams along with our highly motivated friends on the business side of the house,” says Ouellette.
The full story of Union Mutual of Vermont’s transformation will be featured in the June, 2015 edition of ITA Pro magazine, the official publication of the ITA.
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Crawford Technologies Announces Release of ePresentment Gateway for Box
- New Study of More than 100 Insurers Finds Success Among Early Adopters of Emerging Tech, Says Novarica
- Anshuman Purohit Assumes Senior Technology Leadership Role at CastleBay Companies
- AVYST Welcomes Kitty Ambers as Chief Growth Officer
- Agero Strengthens Executive Team with Bill Gerraughty as Chief Financial Officer
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- 2019 Global Insurance Accelerator Cohort Reflects Evolution of InsurTech
- Nearly 50% of US Insurers Are Enhancing Security Capabilities Across the Board, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE