Fulfilling the Insurance Promise—and the ITA Promise as Well
Robert Regis Hyle | March 27, 2017
The insurance promise basically amounts to when a policyholder presents a legitimate claim to their insurer, the insurer pays the claimant. It’s pretty simple, really. Here at the Insurance Technology Association, our promise to insurers is to present the best possible content available for our claimants, the members of the ITA who, by and large, are insurance business and technology experts.
Two weeks ago we had another opportunity to fulfill that promise at our annual conference, ITA LIVE. Did we succeed on our goal? We are awaiting the final returns from those in attendance who agreed to take part in a post-conference survey, but all anecdotal evidence available to the ITA shows that the 100 industry leaders in attendance believe we did just that.
Once upon a time, there were two major events for insurance IT leaders to attend if they were looking to share time and experiences with their peers from throughout the industry. Those two conferences—put on by IASA and ACORD—are still in business, but the landscape of conferences has changed dramatically over the last two years.
There isn’t a month that goes by where insurance IT leaders don’t have at least two options—and sometimes more—to attend a live conference. That doesn’t include the online programs that are offered even more frequently—you can find live web content several times per week if you so desire.
So providing content is no longer the simple matter it once was when many of us joined the insurance technology field, but after all, what is simple in our world today. Technology is designed to simplify many things in life and in work, but explaining the value of that technology is not quite as easy. There are hundreds if not thousands of voices out there crying for attention so it is difficult to find one or two voices you can trust.
That is where the ITA comes in. Our organization is less than four years old, which no longer makes us a startup, but we still treasure a description given to us that the ITA is “a startup with a pedigree.” We value the confidence our membership and others throughout the industry have displayed toward us and that is why we feel we are blessed with a great opportunity to share what we have learned—and are still learning—to our membership.
While writing for a magazine is not as interactive as we would like, our approach to conference sessions is quite the opposite. Those willing to spend time and money to attend a three-day conference don’t want to be talked down to; they want to be educated and the best way is by sharing their own views on important industry subjects to gain a consensus on the right and wrong ways to approach an opportunity.
ITA LIVE will be back for its fourth iteration in 2018 and we again extend our promise. ITA LIVE 2018 will be nothing like ITA LIVE 2017 because, as we have all learned so clearly, nothing in this industry stays the same from year to year. That includes educational conferences. That much we do know for certain.
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Adaptik Named Among Best Workplaces 2017 List
- Guidewire Launches Accelerators to Meet Consumer Applications
- New Platform Enables DRC Customers to Conduct 6,000,000+ Ratings an Hour
- Roost Unveils Next Gen Smart Home Products
- MetLife Auto & Home Offers Digital Products via Guidewire
- Solartis Releases Rating Micro Service with ISO Electronic Rating Content
- Majesco Announces Digital Engagement and Microservices Platform as a Service
- Franklin Mutual Adds Roost Home Telematics Solutions
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Robert Regis Hyle
Insurance has gone through several business and technology cycles in the last two decades and with the infusion of not just insurtech tools but with... READ MORE
The whole transportation sector is in for massive transformation. The way people and goods will be moved from point A to point B in the future will be... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
The core systems replacement cycle is speeding up. Twenty years ago, even if you spent your entire career working at the same insurance company, you... READ MORE
- Partner News