Genpact Study Finds Digital Technology Drives Transformation
Staff Writer | November 08, 2016
Digital transformation can propel the insurance industry forward; however, barriers exist, with a significant gap between organizations that leverage technology for competitive advantage and those that struggle with innovation, finds a new study from the Genpact Research Institute, the research think tank of Genpact, and ACORD, the global standards setting body for the insurance industry.
The study provides insights into what differentiates digital leaders from the laggards:
- Nearly all (91 percent) leaders say digital technology has significant impact on their companies’ revenue growth compared to approximately half (55 percent) of laggards.
- Leaders optimize technology to improve customer experience: 70 percent of leaders say digital has a significant impact on customer loyalty (compared to only 36 percent of laggards), and leaders are more than six times more likely than laggards to see a substantial effect from digital on their company’s single view of the customer.
- The majority (81 percent) of companies with middle and back offices that effectively support customer expectations are digital leaders.
Taken together, these findings imply that aligning end-to-end front, middle, and back office operations has a direct impact on the effectiveness of digital transformation, improving customer experience, and a company’s overall performance.
“The insurance industry needs to move beyond just ‘fixing’ legacy systems. This remains a critical concern; however, process transformation through the front, middle, and back office is what drives a superior customer experience and sets up a company for growth,” says Scott McConnell, senior vice president and global leader, Insurance at Genpact. “Insurers must also take note where channels struggle most, and support the agent network and other indirect channels with resources to enable transformation of the end-to-end customer experience.”
Digital’s potential hindered by legacy
More than half (58 percent) of all respondents—which includes professionals at insurers and in insurance distribution channels—predict significant impact from digital technology in two years; however, legacy systems are the top barrier (cited by 68 percent) that impedes many organizations’ efforts to achieve enterprise transformation. In addition, laggards suffer from an inability to instill a culture of innovation:
- The overwhelming majority (82 percent) of laggards say their company lacks a corporate vision for digital transformation compared to only 27 percent of leaders.
- Laggards also struggle much more than leaders with the inability to experiment quickly (82 percent of laggards say this a challenge compared to 41 percent of leaders) and risk aversion (cited as a barrier by 91 percent of laggards compared to 48 percent of leaders).
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- 91% of Insurers Have DevOps Initiatives Underway or Planned, Says Novarica
- Sapiens DECISION Expands Insurance Technology Offering
- EIS Group’s Digital Insurance Platform Deployed for Guardian’s Direct to Consumer Business
- Harford Mutual Insurance Company Selects Sapiens’ North American P&C Insurance Platform
- Insurers Starting to Shift IT Spending to Digital and Data from Core, Says 11th Annual Novarica Report
- Paladin Cyber Launches Comprehensive Cyber-Risk Program for Small and Mid-Sized U.S. Businesses
- Catholic Life Insurance in Production with Sapiens’ E-Application Solution LifeApply for Life and Annuities
- Kaboodle Announces New Partner Alliance with SPLICE Software
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views