Giving Thanks for Insurance Technology
Robert Regis Hyle | November 25, 2014
This traditionally is a week of reflection amidst the hustle and bustle of getting home for the holidays or preparing a feast for a bunch of relatives. I hope that your Thanksgiving doesn’t reflect any of the comical celebrations of friends and family that we see on TV and in the movies.
There is much to be grateful for this year if you are a part of the insurance technology community. For many years, IT people were just thankful they had jobs. Somebody had to keep the lights on, after all. About six years ago, though, IT had even more to be thankful for. The business community finally turned to their technology partners and asked for help as the insurance world faced the enormous challenge of picking itself up in the aftermath of the recession of 2008.
Today there are still some holdouts, but for the most part IT leaders are looked upon as key strategic forces within the halls of insurance carriers throughout the world.
Some will say, “Be careful what you wish for.” But that doesn’t describe the IT leaders I have dealt with in covering this industry for 16 years. The IT leaders I know were champing at the bit for this opportunity and relished the challenge rather than shirked away from it.
I recently interviewed Stuart Tainsky, CIO of PURE, for our cover story for the December issue of ITA Pro and he reflected the enthusiasm that insurers and insurance IT people have displayed in recent years.
“To me insurance is one of the most interesting and impactful industries,” says Tainsky. “I think our industry is fascinating, but it’s not viewed as the most glamorous, particularly in technology.”
It’s going to take a few more years for the insurance industry to escape the stodgy image it has embraced over the years and who knows if it will ever be viewed as exciting by outsiders. But today it has a fighting change and that is something to be thankful for as nearly every insurer sweats over where the next generation of insurance IT leaders will come from.
There is much work to be done, but the resources to make improvements have never been more available than they are today. Now it is up to IT leaders to share their vision of what technology can do to make insurance more than just something people are forced to buy, but rather a partner in the life journey of every policyholder.
So let’s all be thankful and enjoy the holiday this week. There is plenty of work ahead, but also some time for fun. And remember, this is the insurance industry, so don’t let any of you get caught deep frying that turkey on your deck. Happy Thanksgiving.
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Duck Creek Acquires Distribution Management Provider Outline Systems LLC
- Guidewire Congratulates 2018 Innovation Award Winners – Economical Insurance, Motorists Insurance Group, and Zurich Mexico
- Over 70% of Insurers Now Use Some Cloud, Says Novarica
- Zywave Acquires Code SixFour, Bolstering its Suite of Proposal and Marketing Solutions for Insurance Brokers
- The Global InsurTech fund seeks InsurTech investments in Israel
- Selected Funeral and Life Insurance Company Goes LIVE with QLAdmin Solutions
- Crawford Human Risk Services Offers Enhanced Disability Management Services with Crawford EmployerWORKS Software
- Top ERP Systems for 2019
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views