Global Insurance Accelerator Adds New Insurer Investors
Staff Writer | October 05, 2016
The Global Insurance Accelerator (GIA), a business accelerator focused on developing and growing innovative, insurance-centric startups, announces two additional insurance companies will join the eight insurers already invested in the GIA program.
EMC Insurance Companies, of Des Moines, Iowa, and Markel Corporation, of Richmond, Va., have confirmed annual investments in the GIA, which help fund a seed investment in insurance technology startups accepted into the GIA program going forward. As investors, EMC and Markel also commit staff and company expertise to help mentor startups through the critical early stages of business growth, potential launch situations, recruiting and onboarding initial customers, and seeking additional funding.
“As an insurance carrier, it is to our benefit to invest in the Global Insurance Accelerator,” says Bruce G. Kelley, president and CEO of EMC. “The GIA is fostering innovation and building solutions to support the insurance industry. EMC was founded more than 100 years ago as a solution for workers’ compensation coverage in Iowa, and now we are investing in solving key contemporary issues in our industry such as data sharing, security and risk management.”
Originally modeled after other horizontal technology accelerators which provide seed funding and business assistance to startups in exchange for equity, the GIA is focused solely on the insurance industry. Now in its third year, the GIA is backed by insurance company investors from across the U.S., but is based in Des Moines, Iowa, which is home to more than 80 insurance companies and tens of thousands of insurance professionals. More than 200 insurance companies are based in the state of Iowa.
The insurtech startups selected to participate in the GIA’s annual “cohort” are invited to Des Moines for a 100-day program, which provides hands-on business support from program mentors, and exposure to insurance company professionals, industry influencers and potential additional investors as well. During the program, members of the GIA cohort are formally assessed and provided consulting guidance to improve, company organization and management team structure, industry problems solved by products/services offered, product specifications (features and functionality), marketing, sales and distribution, general business model, financial model, early plan implementation, business legalities and organizational support models. The program culminates each year in April by providing startups the opportunity to pitch live onstage at the Global Insurance Symposium.
“This is not a typical accelerator,” says Jeff Russell, president and CEO of Delta Dental of Iowa and the GIA board chair. “Startups participating in our program are able to complete customer discovery in shorter cycles than they could on their own, which enables them to grow their revenue faster. The GIA is a strategic partner in helping them achieve success.”
The GIA investors, now including EMC and Markel, not only have an opportunity to acquire a financial stake in some of the top insurtech startups in the country, but also participate as mentors and engage in startups’ early business and product evolution. As a part of the GIA, insurer investors are exposed to the newest industry-specific technology trends ahead of competitors, and, are therefore better able to evaluate future engagement with, and potential investment in, emerging technologies.
“We are excited to build relationships with some of the most exciting insurtech startups entering the industry,” says Trent Cooksley, Markel Corporation director of strategy and marketing. “Not only will we offer direct mentoring as they go through and graduate from the GIA program, but we also have a vested interest in the longer-term success of companies that may truly innovate how we all do business. Markel can play a valuable role in that innovation.”
Markel and EMC join the GIA’s existing investor group, which includes American Equity Investment Life Holding Company, Delta Dental Plans Association, Farm Bureau Financial Services, Farmers Mutual Hail Insurance of Iowa, Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company, IMT Insurance Company, Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company, and Principal Financial Group.
“The addition of EMC gives us another strong partner in Des Moines,” Russell said. “And, the addition of Markel shows that the benefits of being an investor are applicable to insurance companies anywhere in the United States. Together, they enable us to continue expanding the GIA offerings through our cohorts and mentoring program.”
The GIA is now accepting applications for its third cohort, happening mid-January through April 2017. Startups can apply at www.globalinsuranceaccelerator.com. The application deadline is Nov. 7.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Zywave Expands Commercial Content Offering in Flagship Product
- Insurance Technologies Partners with Fiduciary Exchange, LLC (FIDx) to Deliver Seamless Annuity Illustration and e-Application Capabilities in the Envestnet Insurance Exchange Platform
- Equisoft Acquires Grendel Recognized for its Premier Wealth Management CRM Platform
- Distribution Connectivity Options for Insurers Proliferating and Improving, Says Novarica
- Noblr, the New Car Insurance Company, Launches in Colorado
- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. Named OEM of the Year at 2019 TU Auto Awards
- Leading Roadside and Transportation Networks Partner to Transform the Breakdown Experience for Consumers
- Insurers Leveraging Emerging Tech, Analytics, Third-Party Data in Loss Control, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE