Go Digital (as Long as the Fries are Hot)
Robert Regis Hyle | August 26, 2014
Are you still wondering if digital capabilities are worth the effort for your company? If so, consider that fast-food chain McDonald’s recently announced the hiring of a vice president of digital. Julia Vander Ploeg left Ticketmaster and joined McDonald’s to work on customer engagement, e-commerce, service delivery, and digital content.
Now McDonald’s is a Fortune 500 company and that’s bigger than midtier insurance carriers, but when you consider how restaurants do business and how insurance carriers need to do business, it’s time for carriers to make the leap. They don’t have to create a new title, but they better have someone that understands the new digital culture.
The service delivery aspect of the McDonald’s article on the CNBC website caught my attention. A McDonald’s executive explained the fast-food company wants to revolutionize how it interacts with its customers by “removing physical boundaries to allow our customers to connect to and order McDonald's any time or place, globally.”
If I buy a burger and some fries from McDonald’s, I can’t imagine a more effective way than to get in line at the drive-thru or inside the restaurant. I say this for one simple reason: The food quality at McDonald’s and its competitors is at its apex within the first two minutes of being handed to you on a tray or in a bag.
Really, is there anything worse than getting fries from McDonald’s that aren’t piping hot? Some people look through their bag at the drive-thru just to see if everything is there. I taste the fries. If the grease does not burn my tongue I tell the clerk I want some new fries and they invariably comply.
McDonald’s likely will find more value from a digital strategy in ways other than ordering Chicken McNuggets. Identifying the nearest restaurant for customers craving a Big Mac is certainly important in an age where GPS systems are at everyone’s fingertips.
For insurance carriers, though, the digital future needs to be all about transactions. As The Nolan Company’s Chad Hersh told ITA contributing editor Michael Voelker for an article in the September issue of ITA Pro magazine, insurers shouldn’t get carried away with the non-transactional arena.
“Non-transactional capabilities are great for driving adoption or policyholder stickiness, but failure to offer transactional capabilities will cost carriers customers,” says Hersh, who recently joined Nolan as senior vice president after leaving Novarica. “In terms of whether or not ROI matters, that’s a great debate,” says Hersh. “Frankly, in many cases, mobile apps are simply a competitive necessity.”
McDonald’s is wise to understand that traditional brick and mortar companies have disappeared over the last decade and they don’t want to be left behind. So maybe we’ll see a McDonald’s food truck roaming the streets and handing out Big Macs. Just so long as the fries are hot, I won’t mind.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- America’s Most Memorable Mascots
- Viaction Taps Breathe Life to Accelerate Online Sales of Life Insurance
- Majesco Appoints Industry Trailblazer Carolyn Johnson to its Board of Directors
- EMC Insurance Companies Selects Guidewire Cloud to Accelerate Business Transformation and Growth
- Xceedance and Oasis LMF Announce On-Demand Catastrophe Modelling Services
- Majesco Joins the Association of Financial Mutuals
- Best’s Market Segment Report: Swiss Re Takes Top Spot in AM Best’s Top 50 Ranking of Global Reinsurers
- Macrosoft Joins Quadient Partner Advantage Program
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Customer experience is an essential component of the transformational journey... READ MORE
Insurance companies can serve customers better when they have access to accurate data and use it to send personalized, relevant messages that deliver... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE