Got Policies? IVANS Service Helps Feed Commercial Lines Producers
Robert Regis Hyle | March 23, 2016
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers. With its new service, IVANS Market Appetite, IVANS allows agents to see a list of U.S. insurance carriers ranked by market appetite at the moment of opportunity.
This new search engine improves productivity by reducing time spent on the traditional ways of identifying carrier appetite, including referencing carrier risk guides, accessing carrier websites, search engines, historical agent experience, or directly contacting underwriters on an individual basis, according to Matt Foran, vice president and general manager of IVANS Market Appetite.
The product evolved from Applied’s acquisition of EvoSure last September. EvoSure was in existence for about two and a half years and was made up of broker and carrier people who saw a need that was not met in connecting agents with carriers that had an appetite for risk.
“We had a lot of experience in distribution and market selection,” says Foran, who came to IVANS from EvoSure. “The problem is finding the right people for the right risk. We built EvoSure because we couldn't solve those problems. The domain expertise was there, but it lacked the sophistication of non-industry technologists so we recruited people from cutting-edge technology firms and paired them with people who understood the problems and appreciate the role of the underwriter and the agent and we built this tool for them.”
“Applied had a vision of creating a Google-like search engine to help agents,” adds Foran. “(EvoSure) had a similar version with a twist that it could be done at the individual level. (The acquisition) was a marriage of vision, people, and technology.”
IVANS Market Appetite went live last December and Foran reports there are around 50,000 users with access to the tool. Its power comes from the fact an agent has to make just a few clicks to obtain a view across the marketplace to see what carriers are willing to write a particular risk.
Foran explains IVANS started with eight commonly-booked commercial lines products and he expects the number will expand to roughly 90 products by the end of this year.
Acceptance by agents has been important, according to Foran, who points out some agents use the tool three times a week, although the company is not ready to release official figures just yet.
“We are working to identify the amount of premium we are supporting, but we know already it's a big number and the feedback from the agents has been tremendous,” he says.
IVANS is just beginning to engage more carriers, although the system works independent of their engagement, points out Foran. The solution aggregates data across multiple systems and third-party data and infers answers with historical trends for a majority of the carriers in the industry, according to Foran.
“Their engagement simply means how we represent them becomes far more specific and up-to-date and provides them with some ranking advantage,” he says. “We just started signing clients. We have data that helps determine what these carriers are most likely to do. Historical trend doesn't always reflect what they want. Most go through a profitability review every six months.”
Being a client makes things more active on a real-time basis, though, explains Foran. Trends don't define what the insurers don't want.
“The submissions they decline is a tremendous waste of operational efficiency and profitability,” he says. “Being a client of ours offers the ability to improve rankings on search results. It helps to position them more effectively relative to non-participating carriers.”
IVANS releases code every two weeks. Foran believes the evolution of the product is fast and targeted and the direction the new company is headed is where their customers tell IVANS they want to go.
“We are empathetic to the needs of our users,” says Foran. “We want their direction so we can understand their business and their pain, how our tool is working, and what they want it to do. They want us to give them a heads up and where things are going in the next 120 days and the available markets to pursue opportunities. We want to supply answers before someone has to ask the question.”
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Are Personal Lines Insurers Investing in Foundational Technologies?
- The Dentists Insurance Company Selects Guidewire InsurancePlatform for Data Management and Analytics
- Valen Unveils New ‘Unavailable Loss History Model’ for Workers’ Compensation
- Insurers Replacing Distribution/Compensation Management Systems as Part of Modernization Strategies; Novarica Profiles 10 Vendor Solutions
- HazardHub zooms past 100 billion data points for Property analysis
- ClarionDoor Adds New Head of Data and Analytics
- Zywave Introduces Comprehensive Learning Management System
- Insurance Industry Buys into RiskGenius Yet Again
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The personal lines segment of the insurance industry is quite active today, with many initiatives and projects underway across the value chain... READ MORE
Nowadays, transformation is a top buzzword in the insurance world. But beyond the buzz, it reflects what is happening in the insurance industry today... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE