Here Comes the Judge
Frank Petersmark | November 14, 2016
I recently had the opportunity to judge the ACORD Innovation Award finals as part of the recent ACORD2016 conference in Florida. The finals were the culmination of several months of presentations made by insurtech startups looking to make a difference in the insurance industry.
The good news is that there’s a great deal of activity on the part of a many smart people who see an opportunity to change the way insurance is experienced by customers. The less than good news, at least thus far, is that it’s not entirely clear how much of all this new activity will be embraced, and how much change it will ultimately bring to the industry.
To be fair, much of this is new to the industry, especially the notions of customer centricity and information ubiquity and it’ll take time and fortitude for many in the industry to process it all.
The ACORD Innovation finals were a microcosm of just the kinds of winds blowing into the industry. Among the finalists were startups whose ideas and solutions directly addressed many of the perceived deficiencies in the insurance industry. One finalist had a solution for a virtual insurance agent based on artificial intelligence and real-time data collection and analysis. The company has an intuitively easy website and once a prospect enters their information they get instant recommendations on pricing, coverages, and crowd-sourced references to agents in their geographic area.
Another of the finalists created a small hardwire device that, once installed in a vehicle, made any smartphone in that vehicle a “dumb phone,” with only the ability to make phone calls. Their aim is to decrease the instances of distracted driving accidents, especially among younger drivers.
Still another finalist had an app that allowed international travelers to quickly find reputable medical facilities and doctors if they fell ill or were injured while traveling. They also saw an opportunity to bundle this service with travel insurance.
In all it was a great example of the kinds of innovation entering the industry. Interestingly, most of the insurtech activity is coming from outside the industry, as was the case with the ACORD finals. The common thread running through most of these new entrants is their focus on improving or otherwise altering the status quo in the insurance industry.
That’s commendable, and some might even say optimistic, given that the insurance industry is historically reticent about changing too much too quickly and with some good reason, as it’s a model that has worked well enough for some hundreds of years now.
However, change is coming to the industry, and to the credit of many inside the industry there is a recognition of what some fresh, outside thinking can bring to insurance carriers, their policyholders, and their agents and brokers. Many insurers have already embraced the new wave of innovation and are using it as inspiration for changing their own companies, before other forces change it for them.
While I was humbled to participate as a judge during the ACORD Innovation contest this past year, in the end there’s only one judge that really matters and that’s the consumer of insurance services and products. Nearly all of the insurtech and carrier activity is aimed at placing the customer in the center of the insurance world, and that is certainly a change for the industry.
Within a short period of time—at least relative to the history of the industry—customers have become king. That’s why nearly all of the startup activity outside of the industry, and the innovation within the industry, is now aimed at putting the customer on the insurance throne.
That’s something many in the insurance industry need to come to grips with, and quickly. The judges of the past—underwriters, actuaries, claims adjusters, agents, etc.—now need to give way to the judges of the future.
(Frank Petersmark is associate vice president with the research and consulting firm Novarica.)
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Aspire Names Hyland a Leader in Customer Communications Management for Business Automation
- ValueMomentum Joins the MuleSoft Partner Program
- Crawford Technologies Partners with BlueCrest to Combine Market-leading Mail Processing and Workflow Technology
- Zywave Achieves Major Milestone in Small Group Quoting through Acquisition of RateFactory
- Unicorn Underwriting Successfully Implements ClarionDoor Rating and Quoting
- Greek insurance company Eurolife ERB Wins at IMPACT Bite Awards 2019 with FRISS for Automated Fraud Prevention
- Allstate Designates Official “Day for Play” in 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup™ Tournament Cities
- FRISS and omni:us supercharging insurance with AI
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE