Hippo Creates A Better Customer Experience With Proactive Approach to Homeowners Insurance
Bill Sinn | October 02, 2018
Hippo Insurance™ the California-based insurtech company that is transforming home insurance for savvy homeowners, is giving the home insurance industry an overhaul by focusing on proactive insurance and delivering a positive customer experience. As a modern insurance company, Hippo proactively works with customers to put preventative measures in place to help keep a client’s property safe.
The need to reshape home insurance into a proactive experience starts with real-time data collection both inside and outside the home. By acting as the connection between data and insights, such as aerial imagery and fire line scoring data, Hippo is giving homeowners an advanced look at their homes. For example, Hippo customers will be alerted if there’s a discoloration on their roof, implying a need for roof repairs, or when new wildfire prone brush encroaches on a property line. Hippo partners with AI driven software companies to specifically analyze real-time aerial images of their homes. Having an advanced alert system inside the home is just as valuable.
According to the Insurance Information Institute 30% of home insurance claims in 2016 were from water damage. Industry wide, water is one of the most costly homeowner risk aside from fire loss and so smart home integration is essential to developing proactive insurance. Hippo partners with a host of companies to collect and analyze this type of data and bring customers closer to the information they need to protect their homes for future accidents and costly repairs.
This past May, Hippo and Comcast teamed up to bring Xfinity customers both added discounts and enhanced coverage on their homeowners insurance. Hippo’s modernized home insurance policies help Xfinity customers save up to 25% on their annual home insurance premiums with the purchase of a Hippo policy. Each policy also comes with an enhanced smart home starter kit, plus a discount on premiums for protecting a home against risks from fire, water damage, and break-ins.
“Smart home adoption is driving a necessary change in home insurance,” said Yuval Harry, Head of Partnerships at Hippo Insurance. “Our focus on preventative insurance means we want to enable all our customers to better protect their homes before significant damage occurs, and providing them with smart home solutions that assist with achieving this goal is a top priority”
Hippo’s commitment to smart home has brought on several new partners in the industry over the last quarter. To help customers safeguard items inside their homes, the company recently partnered with Notion, a home monitoring solution powered by a multi-purpose IoT smart home sensor. Now each Hippo customer will be armed with a Notion Smart Home Starter Kit in qualifying states. By integrating with Smart Home device makers, Hippo is creating a better, more transparent and beneficial relationship between the insurance provider and homeowner. For outside the home, Hippo also recently partnered with zesty.ai, a leading Artificial Intelligence (AI) enabled risk analytics platform for Property and Casualty insurance.
Hippo policies more accurately and proactively represent what’s inside a typical home today. This includes comprehensive equipment breakdown coverage for the items that traditional home insurance doesn't cover. In addition to IoT and smart home devices, things like your heating and air conditioning systems, hot water heater, appliances, computers and more.
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- New Research Points to Economic Challenges Impacting the North American Towing Industry
- Klinger Elected AIMS Society President
- FHM Insurance Company Goes Live with Insurity’s Cloud-based ‘Workers’ CompXPress’ Policy Administration System
- Messagepoint Named a Customer Communications Management Leader in the Aspire Leaderboard for Second Year in a Row
- EIS DXP Hits Milestone with 1,100 Open APIs Now Available to Insurers
- Policy Administration Systems Replacement Still Top of Mind for Property/Casualty Insurers; Novarica Profiles Over 40 Vendors in 12th Annual Report
- MEMIC’s Financial Strength Affirms "A" (Excellent) Rating From A.M. Best
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE