How Business Process Automation Reduced Human Error by 75%
Bill Sinn | June 05, 2019
MDP is an insurance company in specialty insurance on the East Coast of the US. The firm replaced its manual processes for proposal generation and broker onboarding with a completely customized, automated system using ProcessMaker. As a result, MDP improved the quality of its proposals and drastically reduced the time their product takes to produce.
Prior to implementing ProcessMaker, MDP used an agency management system which included standard features, with limited capacity for customization. Given the firm’s focus on specialty insurance, MDP needed a solution with more flexibility, which could adapt to the specialization and complexity of their business model.
MDP used a manual process in coordinating data between conducting analytics, presentations, and preparing briefs. This involved copying and pasting, or manually re-entering data between the agency management system, Microsoft Excel, PDFs, and other tools. The result was human error including typing errors, omissions, and disorganized data. Further, this manual process resulted in lost time and focus.
The agency needed a system which would bridge the way their team works with the requirements of the agency management system provided by their primary carrier. Rather than adapting the way their team worked to fit a standardized management system and coordinating the work they completed around it in other tools manually, MDP automated these tasks around the way their team works using ProcessMaker.
Business Process Automation Solution
ProcessMaker built a custom solution for MDP to serve the firm’s unique requirements. The solution delivered ProcessMaker BPM functionality, alongside MDP’s agency management system, with a completely customized user interface. The system streamlined the underwriting proposal generation, binder and broker on-boarding processes
ProcessMaker helped MDP automate every phase of its insurance application process, from application submission to invoicing. The flow of information between people and systems in the organization occurred automatically. Finally, information from each phase in the process are compiled into a PDF insurance proposal, which was then converted into a invoice and then final binder.
Each insurance application is submitted in a custom ProcessMaker Dynaform which then generates a PDF proposal which is sent to insurance carrier to be rated. Once the proposal is rated, it is automatically sent to MDP’s underwriter for a quote to be generated. One this step is complete, a formal final proposal is created to be sent to the client in phase. One this step is complete, the proposal is bound and an invoice is generated. Finally, MDP is automatically reminded each year of the contract’s renewal.
MPD also automated its Broker and Carrier management with Processmaker. This process comprised of reviewing and managing documents between various stakeholders and systems required for approving a new insurance vendor. With ProcessMaker, this entire process was streamlined from the initial proposal to ultimate vendor onboarding. This part of the solution also interacts with the vendor management software, EPIC, and extracting its tracking code to allow seamless broker management.
Through ProcessMaker, MPD can visualize its data and track its goals. The solution’s dashboard includes number of submissions quoted, premium and monthly hit ratio. It also includes a prioritized list of cases so key accounts are always kept top of mind. ProcessMaker’s audit log provides a recording of all of the information, timestamped and logged. Dashboards and reports are also available for each of MPD’s programs and projects. ProcessMaker also provides MDP with a lead sourcing dashboard so the firm can gain insight into its marketing initiatives. Finally, through the ProcessMaker complete audit trail, MDP can view what field changed , who changed it and when, for full accountability and visibility into their operations.
Business Process Automation Results
ProcessMaker enabled MDP to deliver insurance plans more quickly, with better accuracy, and more easily. By implementing ProcessMaker, MDP reduced human errors in its proposals by 75 percent. Reducing these human errors assists MDP in quality assurance and in protecting the profit margins of its core business.
ProcessMaker also enabled MDP to minimize the time required to produce and invoice a proposal. The time required to produce proposals was reduced from 45 minutes to 7-12 minutes. This meant not only greater efficiency for the firm, but also had the human impacts of a more focused, satisfied team.
“The level of involvement ProcessMaker and its team showed us drew us in. We have been working with the same team at ProcessMaker for eight years now. That’s a big positive for us and that kind of consistent relationship is unprecedented in the tech world. The ProcessMaker team learned our business and our industry.”
– Paul Lavardera, Senior Vice President of Maury, Donnelly, and Parr
ProcessMaker is now creating version 2.0 of its custom product for MDP. The new product will include an updated user interface and will be adapted to MDP’s new coverage model and new carrier. It will also include several new features requested by MDP including an automated integration with Outlook, automated risk calculation, and automatic PDF compilation. All of this is made possible through ProcessMaker BPM, which empowers companies like MDP to automate their tasks and systems around the way they work best.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Pekin Insurance Deploys Guidewire InsurancePlatform™ to Modernize Infrastructure for Business Growth
- OWIT Global Announces Refinements to its Cloud-based Bordereaux Service for Accident and Health, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Peel Mutual Selects Guidewire InsurancePlatform with Cloud Delivery Through Deloitte
- Insurity Named Among Best Companies to Work for in Hartford
- Rebuilding Future Systems: Accenture Named a Leader in Application Modernization and Migration by Independent Research Firm
- HealthCare.com Named Fastest Growing Insurance Company on Inc. 5000 With Three-Year Revenue Growth of 759%
- Slice and SOMPO Announce ICS Proof-of-Value Contract Bringing On-Demand Insurance to Asia
- Quadient Streamlines Access to Archived Documents and Data with Introduction of Quadient Archive & Retrieval
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Insurance companies can serve customers better when they have access to accurate data and use it to send personalized, relevant messages that deliver... READ MORE
The personal lines segment of the insurance industry is quite active today, with many initiatives and projects underway across the value chain... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE