IASA Grants $25,000 in 2016 for Scholarships
Staff Writer | June 23, 2016
The IASA Scholarship Program, established in 2010, demonstrates the association’s commitment to aiding undergraduate college students currently enrolled in a university with an insurance program, or in pursuit of a career in insurance, and whose course of study includes working toward a degree in accounting, finance, information technology, actuarial science or risk management
Following a thorough evaluation process, IASA’s Scholarship Committee selected fifteen individuals to receive the association’s 2016 scholarships. All of the scholarship recipients have proven dedicated not only to academic excellence, but to the betterment of themselves, their campuses and their communities through service and leadership.
“The quality of the applications we received this year has been amazing,” says Joe Pomilia, executive director of IASA. “All of our scholarship recipients demonstrate great potential in leading and shaping the next generation of the insurance industry. We are excited that we get to be a part of the process by helping them achieve their goals.”
In 2016, IASA continued to expand the scholarship program thanks to generous funding from IASA local chapters, companies and individuals who feel it is important to make a quantifiable difference in the lives of future industry leaders.
This year a total of $25,000 was awarded and the Walt Mason Scholarship was increased from $2,500 to $5,000. The IASA scholarship recipients are:
$5,000 Walt Mason Scholarship:
- Albert Appouh, Rutgers University
- Frederick Wright, Ohio State University
- Jonah von der Embse, Ohio State University
- Kate McCoy, Drake University
- Matthew Pauszek , Butler University
- Heba Raja, Temple University
- Rachel Weber, Abilene Christian University
- Adrienne Holzworth, Eastern Kentucky University
- Brianna Saylor, Eastern Kentucky University
- Eric Dynda, St. John’s University
- Molly Peddicord, University of South Carolina
- Laura Van Dyke, Olivet College
- Marki Wilber, Olivet College
- Jessica Oliva, St. John’s University
- Nathan Noh, University of Southern California
This year’s recipients were recognized during the IASA Annual Educational Conference & Business Show, June 12- 15h, in San Antonio, Texas. For more information about the IASA Scholarship Program, or to donate to the 2017 IASA Scholarship Program, please contact Karen Furtado at 978-239-2741, or, visit the IASA website at www.iasa.org and click on “Scholarship Program” in the main menu.
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Crawford Technologies Announces Release of ePresentment Gateway for Box
- New Study of More than 100 Insurers Finds Success Among Early Adopters of Emerging Tech, Says Novarica
- Anshuman Purohit Assumes Senior Technology Leadership Role at CastleBay Companies
- AVYST Welcomes Kitty Ambers as Chief Growth Officer
- Agero Strengthens Executive Team with Bill Gerraughty as Chief Financial Officer
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- 2019 Global Insurance Accelerator Cohort Reflects Evolution of InsurTech
- Nearly 50% of US Insurers Are Enhancing Security Capabilities Across the Board, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE