ITA LIVE Offers Attendees Learning, Collaboration Options
Robert Regis Hyle | January 30, 2017
Jim Daggett is co-founder and executive director of the Insurance Technology Association. Periodically he checks in with the ITA membership to discuss plans and issues for the coming months. With ITA LIVE just one month away, Daggett answers some questions on the work it takes to make this annual conference meaningful for those who attend. Members can still register to attend this year’s conference by visiting the ITA website www.itapro.org/ITAlive.
Why is ITA LIVE such an important part of the mission for the Insurance Technology Association?
DAGGETT: One of the first things we did when the ITA was formed in the fall of 2013 was to develop a mission statement. In it we stated: “The goal of the Insurance Technology Association is to provide members with opportunities to collaborate, educate, network, share, and use knowledge related to insurance technology.” We had yet to formulate any plans for hosting a conference, but it was clearly in the back of our minds. I come from a more traditional media background, but I have quickly come to realize that, just as insurers are discovering, not all of our customers (or in the ITA’s case, members) are the same. They have different needs and expectations so it is imperative we look for different ways to bring them together in the collaborative manner that business in 2017 demands.
What are the challenges in putting together a roster of speakers that will attract insurance IT leaders to the conference?
DAGGETT: It is a great challenge because there is a great deal of competition in what we do in the conference setting. We try to find fresh voices that our attendees may not have heard speak before, but we need to ensure that what they have to offer is of the quality that those who have attended the first two ITA LIVE conferences have come to expect from us. So much has happened in the insurance industry since the ITA was formed in the fall of 2013 that important topics for this year’s conference were not even on the radar three-plus years ago. Finding the best speakers is a responsibility we do not take lightly because we know that conference attendees are giving up a great deal in time and expenses to share time with us and we can’t afford to waste their resources.
How important is selecting the location and the property when hosting a conference?
DAGGETT: In the spring of 2014, when we decided to host our first conference, we felt it was important to find a nice, warm location since many parts of our country go through a long, cold winter and look forward to a warm climate, even if it’s just for three days. Conferences aren’t meant to be vacations, but the opportunity to put your winter coat away for a few days and look out on the ocean certainly is preferable to looking at a pile of snow in a parking lot. We believe our location this year, the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort and Spa, will allow our attendees to recharge themselves. They will be at the conference to learn more about some of the important issues facing the industry, but when we take breaks or when the sessions are over for the day, they will have an opportunity to spend time with their peers in a sharing environment that will likely bring a smile to everyone’s face.
When will you begin planning for ITA LIVE 2018?
DAGGETT: This year’s conference ends on March 14 so I’d say we’ll begin thinking about ITA LIVE 2018 on March 15th. Seriously, though, ITA LIVE has become embedded into our brains and anytime we read some fresh thoughts or hear of an excellent speaker we make a mental note to keep track of that person or that subject and find a way to work it into our plans for the following year. We can never be satisfied with ITA LIVE, our magazine or our websites. That means we have to constantly think of ways to make them all better and more relevant to our membership.
Members can still register to attend this year’s conference by visiting the ITA website www.itapro.org/ITAlive.
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- RLI Selects DataCubes to Optimize Certain Underwriting Processes
- Reinsurance Software WebXL Version 4.3 Released by Prima Solutions-Effisoft Group
- Direct Online Could Grow to 12% of Small Commercial Insurance Market by 2023, Says Novarica
- David Fisher joins FRISS board as non-executive member
- Gulfstream Property and Casualty Insurance Company Selects Roost®Home Telematics Solutions
- Promutuel Insurance Extends Guidewire PolicyCenter to Support Personal Lines Including Data Management and Policyholder Digital Engagement
- Global Insurance Accelerator Announces Nicole Cook as Next Managing Director
- 60% of Carriers Planning to Increase Quality Assurance Activities in 2019, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
This month, the ITA celebrates Insurance Careers Month and encourages carriers, brokers, agents and our industry associations to plan their own... READ MORE
Customization in the general sense has a very positive connotation. However, in the world of software systems, customization quite often falls short... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE