Instec Delivers Support for Big Data in Quicksolver System
Staff Writer | May 15, 2015
Insurers looking for a competitive edge have found that the answer lies in an asset they already own. The data that resides in policy administration and claims systems can be mined for insights that can help shape new products, set pricing and evaluate risk. No wonder Big Data has been a top priority for IT departments at insurance companies of all types and sizes.
Instec makes it easy for users of its Quicksolver policy administration system to leverage the policy data stored in its system to discern patterns and build predictive models to drive better business decisions faster. Quicksolver now supports Microsoft’s Excel Power Pivot for reporting and analytics and Azure Machine Learning for predictive modeling, providing insurers and their channel partner MGAs and MGUs with affordable and actionable insight.
“We’ve seen market data that shows up to 75 percent of smaller commercial lines insurers and up to 88 percent of larger insurers are using predictive models, most commonly to drive pricing and underwriting decisions. With so much of the market pursuing business analytics and modeling, we felt compelled to offer our customers an easy way to gain actionable business insights from the data stored in our system,” says Kevin Mason, Instec vice president of product development.
With Microsoft Excel Power Pivot, Quicksolver users can now create ad hoc reports from stored policy data or use standard dashboards, which Instec includes with the product. As only a few examples, insurers can determine whether average rates are too low, where the company is overexposed, or where it is underrepresented. With this option, users can derive new business insights from a tool they already apply almost daily to steer the ship and optimize returns.
For customers that prefer a solution in the cloud, Instec has tested and validated Quicksolver data sets with Microsoft’s Azure Machine Learning, a cloud-based system that features drag-and-drop predictive modeling and also supports custom-coded models using the R or Python languages. With this option, users can leverage Quicksolver data to predict future trends and outcomes, as they plan new products or determine which risks to take on.
These two new options come on the heels of Instec’s announced alliance with SNL Partners, which provides Quicksolver users with standardized, insurance-specific reports that can be used with Quicksolver policy data. Now, in addition to this off-the-shelf solution, Instec clients can use the Microsoft tools to run more customized reports and apply predictive analytics to their decision-making processes.
“Building and implementing analytical models often takes a significant amount of time and requires specialized skills. Instec’s out-of-the box analytics and reports, complemented by the ability to create insurer-specific models, is a high value add for Instec customers,” says Karen Furtado, partner at Strategy Meets Action.
“With our new analytics support, we look forward to seeing our customers reap the benefits that business intelligence and modeling can provide, including greater profitability, reduced exposure, and short time-to-revenue. In the end, it’s all about writing profitable business and taking advantage of new market opportunities. We’re helping our clients get there faster,” says Mason.
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Tower Selects EIS Group’s Insurance Platform to Drive Transformation
- NTUC Income Selects Majesco Distribution Management and Majesco Digital Solutions to Advance its Distribution Management Operation
- Emerson Reid Modernizes Its Business Processes With VUE Software
- Octo Telematics Powers CAA MyPace™ Pay-As-You-Go Program
- Announcing the Solartis Insure Microservice Hackathon
- DataCubes Completes Plug and Play Tech Accelerator Program
- Medical Mutual of Ohio Implements One Inc Digital Payments
- SUNZ Insurance in Production with Sapiens’ Workers’ Compensation CompSuite® Policy System
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views