Instec Delivers Support for Big Data in Quicksolver System
Staff Writer | May 15, 2015
Insurers looking for a competitive edge have found that the answer lies in an asset they already own. The data that resides in policy administration and claims systems can be mined for insights that can help shape new products, set pricing and evaluate risk. No wonder Big Data has been a top priority for IT departments at insurance companies of all types and sizes.
Instec makes it easy for users of its Quicksolver policy administration system to leverage the policy data stored in its system to discern patterns and build predictive models to drive better business decisions faster. Quicksolver now supports Microsoft’s Excel Power Pivot for reporting and analytics and Azure Machine Learning for predictive modeling, providing insurers and their channel partner MGAs and MGUs with affordable and actionable insight.
“We’ve seen market data that shows up to 75 percent of smaller commercial lines insurers and up to 88 percent of larger insurers are using predictive models, most commonly to drive pricing and underwriting decisions. With so much of the market pursuing business analytics and modeling, we felt compelled to offer our customers an easy way to gain actionable business insights from the data stored in our system,” says Kevin Mason, Instec vice president of product development.
With Microsoft Excel Power Pivot, Quicksolver users can now create ad hoc reports from stored policy data or use standard dashboards, which Instec includes with the product. As only a few examples, insurers can determine whether average rates are too low, where the company is overexposed, or where it is underrepresented. With this option, users can derive new business insights from a tool they already apply almost daily to steer the ship and optimize returns.
For customers that prefer a solution in the cloud, Instec has tested and validated Quicksolver data sets with Microsoft’s Azure Machine Learning, a cloud-based system that features drag-and-drop predictive modeling and also supports custom-coded models using the R or Python languages. With this option, users can leverage Quicksolver data to predict future trends and outcomes, as they plan new products or determine which risks to take on.
These two new options come on the heels of Instec’s announced alliance with SNL Partners, which provides Quicksolver users with standardized, insurance-specific reports that can be used with Quicksolver policy data. Now, in addition to this off-the-shelf solution, Instec clients can use the Microsoft tools to run more customized reports and apply predictive analytics to their decision-making processes.
“Building and implementing analytical models often takes a significant amount of time and requires specialized skills. Instec’s out-of-the box analytics and reports, complemented by the ability to create insurer-specific models, is a high value add for Instec customers,” says Karen Furtado, partner at Strategy Meets Action.
“With our new analytics support, we look forward to seeing our customers reap the benefits that business intelligence and modeling can provide, including greater profitability, reduced exposure, and short time-to-revenue. In the end, it’s all about writing profitable business and taking advantage of new market opportunities. We’re helping our clients get there faster,” says Mason.
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Adoption of Cloud Platforms Likely to Accelerate at Large and Midsize Carriers Alike, Says Novarica
- Guidewire Software Announces Hexaware as New Consulting Alliance Partner
- Steve Kronsnoble Joins CastleBay Companies as Insurance Principal Consultant
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Instec Expands Insurance Expertise with Hiring of Industry Veteran CJ Lotter
- Group Insurers Investing in Tech to Drive Customer Acquisition and Retention, Says Novarica
- RLI Selects DataCubes to Optimize Certain Underwriting Processes
- Reinsurance Software WebXL Version 4.3 Released by Prima Solutions-Effisoft Group
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
This month, the ITA celebrates Insurance Careers Month and encourages carriers, brokers, agents and our industry associations to plan their own... READ MORE
Customization in the general sense has a very positive connotation. However, in the world of software systems, customization quite often falls short... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE