InsurTech Startup Betterview Launches New AI Driven Roof Report to Immediately Identify Roof Condition & Characteristics
Staff Writer | July 31, 2018
Betterview, which is quickly becoming the platform essential to every transaction around buildings and properties, today announced the release of Property Profile. Property Profile was developed as a quick and cost-effective way to get a deep understanding of the characteristics and risks of a property and its roof. Property Profile leverages Betterview’s extensive experience inspecting properties and their roofs using machine learning and drone imagery.
Betterview’s Property Profile uses satellite & aerial imagery, along with a growing number of other data attributes like historical weather, to determine the condition and characteristics of a roof and the risk of future insurance claims. Betterview’s risk scoring is based on proprietary data and algorithms that Betterview has developed through its extensive property inspection experience and customer feedback.
Insurance companies are using Property Profile throughout the property insurance lifecycle, including:
- Quoting: Speed up and improve the accuracy of policy application data for more accurate quotes that convert at a higher rate.
- Underwriting & Loss-Control: Quickly assess new business and renewals to identify roof problems, as well as determine when and where to send inspectors to improve the customer and agent experience while reducing costs.
- Claims: Investigate property claims before sending an adjuster onsite by identifying pre-existing roof damage via Betterview’s multi-source historical image archive.
- Catastrophe Modeling: Increase modeling accuracy by factoring in secondary roof characteristics along with assessor’s data.
- Catastrophe Response: Analyze a portfolio post-catastrophe to quickly identify which policies are “full”, “partial”, and “no loss”.
Betterview already has many customers that are realizing significant value from Property Profile, including Argo Insurance, who noted:
“Roof failures at a retail location are some of the most expensive we face as an insurer of supermarkets and restaurants,” said Rooney Gleason, President, Argo Insurance – US Grocery & Retail. “Beyond the obvious property losses, it can lead to food spoilage claims and significant business interruption claims. But what is often not discussed is that failing roofs often lead to costly third-party liability claims when customers have accidents as a result of poor premises maintenance. Betterview’s Property Profile helped us to uncover significant roof problems at multiple store locations that our customers were not aware of. This allowed them to address these issues with their landlord, or directly if they are the owner of the building, to reduce the likelihood of a roof related property and/or liability claim.”
Customers like Argo Insurance can access Betterview’s Property Profile roof scores and characteristics via API or through Betterview’s platform by typing in an address or uploading an Excel spreadsheet or CSV file. Additional data points available with each Property Profile include property characteristics, historical weather, natural hazard risk, historical imagery, and more. Some of the characteristics that Betterview’s computer vision technology can automatically detect include:
● Roof Shape
● Roof Material
● Roof Damage
● Tree Overhang
● And more
“Our goal is to make every building and property thoroughly understood,” said David Lyman, Co-Founder, Betterview. “With artificial intelligence, we can now analyze raw data sources like aerial and satellite imagery and derive new data and insights from them, allowing insurers to find the right coverages and pricing for their clients.”
Betterview developed Property Profile in response to feedback from customers who wanted information about buildings and properties faster and cheaper. While decreasing costs have improved ROI for drone inspections, insurers are still limiting their drone usage to high ROI use cases. As a result, Betterview figured out how to answer most of the questions its customers were asking using pre-captured aerial & satellite imagery, along with other data sources like historical weather.
“Over the last year, as demand for our drone inspections and reporting increased, many of our customers started asking us if we could help them to triage their drone inspections,” explained Dave Tobias, Co-Founder, Betterview. “When we created Property Profile, its original use case was to help our users to identify policies that should be inspected by a drone. After testing it with our customers, we started hearing about the value it could deliver throughout an organization. With this feedback we enhanced Property Profile by returning additional data sources, allowing for personal & commercial lines insurers to incorporate this information into their front-end and back-end workflows.”
In addition, to the release of its new Property Profile report, Betterview has
launched a new web site (www.betterview.net), which features an ROI calculator for Betterview services, new industry solutions page and more.
Betterview exists to make every building and property thoroughly understood. In an increasingly competitive environment, decision-makers are able to reduce risk, cost, and waste by leveraging the Betterview Machine Learning Platform to unlock actionable insight from an abundance of drone, aerial, and satellite imagery. For more information about Betterview, visit: https://www.betterview.net
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Duck Creek Acquires Distribution Management Provider Outline Systems LLC
- Guidewire Congratulates 2018 Innovation Award Winners – Economical Insurance, Motorists Insurance Group, and Zurich Mexico
- Over 70% of Insurers Now Use Some Cloud, Says Novarica
- Zywave Acquires Code SixFour, Bolstering its Suite of Proposal and Marketing Solutions for Insurance Brokers
- The Global InsurTech fund seeks InsurTech investments in Israel
- Selected Funeral and Life Insurance Company Goes LIVE with QLAdmin Solutions
- Crawford Human Risk Services Offers Enhanced Disability Management Services with Crawford EmployerWORKS Software
- Top ERP Systems for 2019
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views