Insurance Leaders, Not Just Industry, Must Evolve
Jennifer Overhulse | June 01, 2016
The insurance industry has been aflutter lately talking about the staggering pace of change. To date, and to be realistic, that's all most of the industry has done: talk about it. However, at the recent ITA LIVE conference held in Ft. Lauderdale, April 20-22, the pace of change took new shape.
A heightened sense of urgency underscored many of the conference’s most heated conversations as insurance company executive attendees looked for ways to internalize transformation stories which might bear replicating back home, and details of use cases for new technologies which might help build a persuasive business case. At ITA LIVE, the pace of change was almost a physical presence, as obvious in the room as any attendee.
“What has been the most significant change you have seen in the last 10 years?” asked Jag Randhawa, vice president and chief information officer of CAMICO Mutual, during his ITA LIVE keynote presentation.
Naturally, attendees cited advancements in mobile and social arenas as the most impactful, and indicated there is considerable focus being placed on how these technologies will be incorporated into modern insurance operations.
“There is no way insurers can bury their heads in the sand and hope this will pass,” said Randhawa. “The advent of the Internet has completely changed the way we live, communicate, buy, and consume products and services. The technology revolution is here to stay and it is going to dominate every aspect of our lives. It is going to change how we underwrite, service, and price our products. More importantly, we are going to see a change in how insurance is packaged and sold.”
Ken Zieden-Weber, senior vice president and chief operating officer for Xchange Benefits LLC, believes “flexibility and adaptation” will be key in the next five years. And in 10 years, he indicates he is planning toward “a likely recast of all existing business procedures,” including “advanced social awareness,” as well as “a unification of new technology and social environments.”
“The biggest challenge all insurance companies face right now is how to engage Millennials,” said Randhawa. “These digital-savvy consumers have different buying habits and expectations from service providers. So, meeting the needs and selling to this growing populous is the immediate challenge. This trend will continue for a while, with the underlying driver, ‘technology,’ creating new opportunities and challenges along the way. The growth and interest in the Internet of Things and other future technologies are going to challenge lots of business models and the perceived value derived from insurance. With the current pace of change, it hard to look 10 years ahead, but if the insurer wants to thrive in the future, they need to keep a close eye on technology trends and drivers.”
Industry aside, the aspect of change Randhawa finds often overlooked is how transformation itself is changing company and industry leaders alike. What new attributes are required to lead in the face of unprecedented change? Is there additional training that may be necessary, or adaptations to style that will help draw in the next generation of insurance executives?
“Success is often the result of so many different things,” said Randhawa. “I have seen some ‘not so good’ leaders rise because they were in the right place at the right time, and I have also seen good leaders fail due to market changes. That said, as a leader, you have to be always looking ahead and keeping an eye out for who or what is going to put you out of business. When things are good, you have to think of diversification, and diversifying product range to hedge against the market trend changes.”
Additionally, Randhawa emphasized that successful leaders have a habit of building up employees, incorporating new ideas, and rewarding accomplishments and contributions. He sees leaders being successful in the future by putting each employee “in charge of something,” focusing on a solution mindset instead of playing the “blame game,” and creating opportunities for employees to achieve personal growth.
“When you make someone in charge of a function, project or system, people start to associate the success and failure of that function as a reflection of their personal abilities,” said Randhawa. “We all have an innate drive to look good, so people naturally work harder to succeed. It becomes a matter of pride, rather than simply a project or task. And, as we all know, people work a lot harder for pride than paycheck.”
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Hippo Insurance Secures $70M Series C Investment Led by Felicis Ventures and Lennar Corporation
- Cloverleaf Analytics Announces Version 2.0 Release
- AmWINS selects ClarionDoor’s Digital Distribution Suite to Power Underwriting Platform
- Ask Kodiak Connects TrustedChoice.com Carrier Appetite to TechCanary Agency Management System
- Seth Bostock Joins Lucens Group as CTO with Vision to Simplify the Disability Insurance Experience
- Life Insurers Enhancing Claims Systems, Novarica Profiles Six Prominent Providers
- HazardHub Releases Frozen Pipe Score, Ice Dam Score and enhanced Weather Variables
- Big Gains & Big Bets in the Independent Insurance Channel
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views