Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
Robert Regis Hyle | May 27, 2014
The recent announcement of a strategic partnership between Vertafore and DocuSign was welcome news to CoVerica, a Dallas insurance agency. CoVerica has used Vertafore’s agency management system since 1995 so the independent agency’s director of IT, Leif Hurst, was familiar with the company’s offerings.
The second piece of the puzzle came in a more random fashion. Hurst was introduced to DocuSign through a real-estate transaction. “I bought a house using DocuSign,” he says.
Hurst explains that he likes to study the way people work and while going through expense reports he noticed that producers would leave the office for up to three hours to get something signed and then turn in an expense report. He also noticed that documents also would be sent through the mail and producers would check the mail each day waiting for the document to be returned.
After signing electronic documents to purchase the house, Hurst wondered why it was so difficult to do the same thing with an insurance policy.
“There were hiccups in the beginning,” he says. “We were struggling with our carriers to get them to recognize it as a valid signature. DocuSign put a team together to work with the carriers and put them at ease. In our book a digital signature is just as viable as a wet signature. Once they jumped onboard we went running with it.”
CoVerica deals with dozens of carriers and uses DocuSign on both sides of the business—personal and commercial lines. The personal lines side is more frequent because of the number of transactions, and CoVerica sends out 30 to 50 DocuSign envelopes a day to be “signed” by customers.
“We use it is for any new business, but also on reductions in coverage—take a vehicle off, reduce limits, anything that goes back to the policy—even our own internal sign-offs,” he says. “In the three or four years we’ve used DocuSign we’ve had one customer who was unable to use it—an elderly gentleman with a dial-up modem.”
Hurst reports that CoVerica’s customers love the system and producers are able to close deals in minutes, not days.
“We track how long it takes to close,” says Hurst. “If someone calls and asks for insurance and we give them a quote we can complete the process in 20 to 25 minutes, where it used to take two or three days,”
Having DocuSign running behind the scenes on Vertafore’s agency management system makes it easier for users at CoVerica, explains Hurst, because they don’t have to leave the Vertafore management system.
“The employee still has to fill it out and attach it to the management system, but this removes three to five steps from the workflow,” he says. “From an E&O standpoint, I don’t have to check to see if the agent did the work. The audit takes care of itself because it ends up back in the management system.”
CoVerica is pushing the DocuSign system on all fronts, according to Hurst.
“We are getting inquiries from customers on how to become a DocuSign user because the process is that great,” he says. “Also, we don’t have to manage the document once it is signed because DocuSign takes care of that for us. Our business customers love doing business with it.”
CoVerica had some internal procedures where producers weren’t pushing to get certain documents signed even though the agency required a sign-off on the proposal.
“DocuSign makes it much easier” to get those proposals signed, says Hurst.
Decision makers for a company are signing documents while they are on vacation via an iPad or an iPhone.
“When your business can project that you are that technologically proficient and you are a big adopter of technology, it’s a competitive differentiator for us,” says Hurst. “A lot of agencies say they are different, but what we are doing proves it.”
It is a competitive atmosphere in the agency world, both for the commercial lines and the personal lines, so anything an agency can do to improve efficiency, be quicker, savvier, and more responsive to customers allows agents to close accounts faster, points out Hurst.
“We have personal lines producers closing six or seven accounts a day,” he says. “They can resolve the customer service aspect we have all adopted. If you can’t wrap things up quickly there are direct writers in their face 24/7.”
Direct writers are a combination of agent and carrier, points out Hurst, which allows them to adopt internal systems and run with them. That forces the agency world to adopt solutions quickly to show potential customers that you are capable.
“Anytime we are audited by a carrier we don’t have a problem,” he says. “We are doing business in a manner that is almost perfection. Carriers seem to love it. There are still some drag-along insurers that aren’t crazy about it, but I think they will turn around. If carriers are not doing digital signature and automation efficiencies, we are going to put business where it makes sense for us.”
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Bankers Insurance AI-Based Messaging Initiative Selected by 50 Insurer CIOs for Novarica Research Council Impact Award
- CapSpecialty Cloud-Based STP Platform Selected by 50 Insurer CIOs for Novarica Research Council Impact Award
- Accurence's acquisition of National Water finalized
- Zywave Expands Commercial Content Offering in Flagship Product
- Insurance Technologies Partners with Fiduciary Exchange, LLC (FIDx) to Deliver Seamless Annuity Illustration and e-Application Capabilities in the Envestnet Insurance Exchange Platform
- Equisoft Acquires Grendel Recognized for its Premier Wealth Management CRM Platform
- Distribution Connectivity Options for Insurers Proliferating and Improving, Says Novarica
- Noblr, the New Car Insurance Company, Launches in Colorado
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE