Insurtech and MatureTech: Blending the New with the Old
Mark Breading | October 19, 2016
The insurtech phenomenon reached new heights at the InsureTech Connect 2016 event in Las Vegas earlier this month. Over 1600 attendees spent two days absorbing new ideas, connecting, and making follow up plans to explore working together.
I’ve participated in many of the insurtech and emerging tech (in insurance) events over the last couple of years, but I have recently noticed a distinct shift. Most of the initial events included insurtech startups, investors, and industry consultants and influencers. The focus was all on the “new”—exciting new ideas, developments, and companies that were poised to transform the insurance industry.
While a few insurance executives participated, the vast majority of people with insurance business cards were representing the venture capital arms of the companies. Recently, there has been a dramatic shift in the participants in everything insurtech. Companies and individuals representing the traditional, incumbent part of the industry are now actively participating. So, I am going to coin a new phrase here: I’m calling this group MatureTech.
Insurance executives leading key parts of the business, driving innovation, and creating strategies are now involved in force, representing all sizes of companies and all lines of business. Incumbent tech players are on the scene as well. While there have been a few leaders involved in some of the early events and insurtech activities, there has now been a ramp up of participation from these companies as well.
This blending of the old and new is, in fact, a great development. Our central theme at SMA has been the need to bridge from today’s insurance company to the Next-Gen Insurer of the future. And it is really much more about transition and adaptation than disruption.
This is not meant to downplay, in any way, the revolutionary ideas, new business models, and innovative products and services emanating from the insurtech world, but there are some fundamental realities about the insurance business and operations that make it difficult to change overnight. Insurance is complex and highly regulated, especially once you get beyond the personal/individual products. Some of the key themes emerging that show how insurtech and MatureTech are beginning to blend are the following:
- Partnering and new ecosystems are the path forward: All types of players are looking to create value in new ways and with new types of partners.
- Core systems are called that for a reason: One way or another, there is still a need for automated solutions for policy, billing, claims, and other core areas of the business. While there can be new approaches, the reality is that integration with the existing systems that every insurer has today is important.
- The MGA model is appealing: It allows companies to create and sell innovative solutions, own the customer relationship, but not have to hold the risk and raise the level of capital required to be an insurer.
- Insuring new things and offering new services are huge opportunities: Perhaps one of the greatest opportunity areas is microinsurance, which is now much more possible in the digital era. Offering new services in conjunction with insurance cover is enabled by the broad availability of real-time data.
There is no doubt that the world of insurance is changing. There is an open debate about how rapidly that will occur and what parts of the business will be most affected, but one thing is for sure, bringing together the strengths of the existing insurance world with the emerging new approaches is inevitable, and it is beginning to happen. And as insurtech collides with MatureTech, insurers must develop bridging strategies to become Next-Gen Insurers and capitalize on the opportunities ahead.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Aspire Names Hyland a Leader in Customer Communications Management for Business Automation
- ValueMomentum Joins the MuleSoft Partner Program
- Crawford Technologies Partners with BlueCrest to Combine Market-leading Mail Processing and Workflow Technology
- Zywave Achieves Major Milestone in Small Group Quoting through Acquisition of RateFactory
- Unicorn Underwriting Successfully Implements ClarionDoor Rating and Quoting
- Greek insurance company Eurolife ERB Wins at IMPACT Bite Awards 2019 with FRISS for Automated Fraud Prevention
- Allstate Designates Official “Day for Play” in 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup™ Tournament Cities
- FRISS and omni:us supercharging insurance with AI
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE