Intelligent Capture Helps Insurers Retain Policyholders
Ian Llado | January 28, 2016
Who among us wouldn’t jump at the chance to improve policyholder retention? The fact is that policyholders respond to your ability to decrease cycle times. Since retaining existing customers is easier and more cost-effective than attracting new ones, many insurers use enterprise content management (ECM) to improve speed, accuracy, and service.
On a fundamental level, ECM software allows insurers to take advantage of electronic storage and integration with core applications like policy and claims systems. The result is easy, efficient retrieval of information. More sophisticated implementations allow you to improve throughput related to claims and new business. This leads to a reduction in errors and the ability to process more work without adding staff.
Though many insurers have a content management strategy in place, few are creating environments that are fully embracing the idea. Maintaining the status quo is no longer good enough; failure to evolve can threaten your company’s livelihood. The challenge now is to look past simple document storage and retrieval and examine the ECM tools that are designed to help you lower your cost per policy and perform at a level that will delight policyholders.
Part 1 of this three-part series will explore how intelligent capture, a technology that was at one time cost prohibitive, can help you accelerate automation and reduce human error. Part 2 will feature the benefits of integrating electronic forms into your insurance environment. The series will conclude with a focus on dashboards, showcasing the advantages of monitoring staff and system productivity.
Intelligent capture for insurers
Regardless of how your information is delivered (paper, email, fax, MFP, web, etc.), intelligent capture fully automates the capture process. It begins by classifying the file based on information within the document. It then intelligently extracts and validates the data that is of value. This information can be used as indexing values or to launch workflows. It can also be made accessible for use in other applications. Once ingested, your content management system applies retention and security rules appropriately. It all happens without human intervention.
Content drives workflows—without the need for manual oversight
Intelligent capture bridges the gap between capture and process, enabling content-initiated automation. It helps optimize processes related to policies, claims, billing, and other back-office operations. The system extracts information to auto-populate indexing fields; launch into workflows or business processes; incorporate into your claims system, policy administration system, or other applications; or support automatic decisions based on business rules.
Intelligent capture goes above and beyond traditional zonal and template-based optical character recognition (OCR) capabilities. The software’s advanced intelligent recognition functionality automatically classifies documents and extracts information intuitively. It adapts to changes within individual documents whether they are structured or unstructured. There is no need to pre-sort documents or separate them into batches. Intelligent capture delivers accurate, high-quality, complete information seamlessly to downstream systems.
Make straight-through processing a reality
Consider how this technology could enhance your ability to process and adjudicate claims quickly and accurately, and to underwrite more business. Straight-through processing becomes possible with intelligent recognition, the auto-classification of your documents, and intuitive data extraction, helping you to standardize processes and free your skilled staff for exceptions handling.
This enables faster, more accurate turnaround. To further please customers, real-time access to information ensures better service for policyholders and other stakeholders. Intelligent capture also accelerates administrative processes such as accounting, billing, and human resources, and helps to eliminate keying errors. It is a pivotal component to any automation strategy.
How to use Intelligent Capture:
Intelligent capture will transform your areas of operations that are driven by paper or by a combination of paper and electronic documents. Insurers benefit by implementing the technology to enhance:
- Without human intervention, capture, classify, index, and launch into workflows any incoming data related to accident reports, police reports, damage assessments, repair estimates, photographs, adjuster reports, and other documentation related to claims.
- Integrate with workflow and use pre-established rules to notify claims managers and other stakeholders that action is warranted.
- Make information that is vital to decision making available immediately upon receipt with the click of a mouse.
- Integrate intelligent capture with your records management software to ensure that retention schedules are applied to each document.
- Use intelligent capture for automatic document classification and index extraction.
- Use the software to identify applications, questionnaires, MVRs, credit reports, and other incoming documents associated with new business and renewals, and launch them into workflows for underwriting review.
- Identify, extract, and launch into workflows for review information related to policy changes.
- Automatically capture, identify, classify, index, and route information associated with résumés, applications, credentials, certifications, and other hiring materials to make them immediately accessible.
- Integrate intelligent capture with Lawson, SAP, PeopleSoft, and other human capital management (HCM) software. This leverages the value and boosts the functionality of your existing investments.
- Upon capture, apply retention schedules to HR documents to help ease compliance related to HCM.
- Upon receipt, automatically capture, identify, classify, index, and launch into workflows data related to invoice processing.
- Extract invoice header information such as vendor name, date, and invoice total, as well as line item details. Push data to a workflow process, an ERP system, and/or an electronic repository for immediate search and retrieval.
- Process more invoices in less time with improved accuracy and consistency.
- Integrate intelligent capture with your records management software to ensure that retention schedules are applied to each document.
Vendor Onboarding and Administration
- Upon receipt, automatically capture, identify, classify, index, and launch into workflows data associated with vendor onboarding.
- Immediately route data from vendor onboarding forms such as W8 forms, W9 forms, payment information, contact information, licensing materials, and renewals for approvals.
- Spend less time and resources focusing on administration so that you can focus on policyholder needs.
Lower your cost per policy
A happy customer is a loyal customer. Still, instilling customer loyalty is an area where all insurers struggle. It is not unusual for policyholders to shop around for the lowest insurance rates they can find unless they have a reason to stay, such as noteworthy customer service.
Intelligent capture helps you deliver improved service, automating processes that require a high level of accuracy and quick turnaround. It alleviates manual tasks, enabling your staff to be more attentive to policyholders and provide them with more accurate information. Stand out in a competitive marketplace. Explore ways that intelligent capture can help you nurture loyalty and lower your cost per policy.
Ian Llado is a senior account manager for insurance solutions and has been with DocFinity since 1999. He is instrumental in marketing DocFinity products, and manages high profile carriers in virtually every line of business including Property & Casualty, Life & Health, and other specialty lines.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Aspire Names Hyland a Leader in Customer Communications Management for Business Automation
- ValueMomentum Joins the MuleSoft Partner Program
- Crawford Technologies Partners with BlueCrest to Combine Market-leading Mail Processing and Workflow Technology
- Zywave Achieves Major Milestone in Small Group Quoting through Acquisition of RateFactory
- Unicorn Underwriting Successfully Implements ClarionDoor Rating and Quoting
- Greek insurance company Eurolife ERB Wins at IMPACT Bite Awards 2019 with FRISS for Automated Fraud Prevention
- Allstate Designates Official “Day for Play” in 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup™ Tournament Cities
- FRISS and omni:us supercharging insurance with AI
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE