LexisNexis Launches Fraud Defense Network
Staff Writer | November 17, 2014
LexisNexis Risk Solutions announces the launch of the LexisNexis Fraud Defense Network, an alliance that seeks to link organizations across all industries with resources, information and actionable intelligence to predict, detect, and mitigate the risks that fraud presents. The announcement kicks off the company’s participation in International Fraud Awareness Week, an awareness campaign spearheaded by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners which estimates global fraud in the trillions.
According to LexisNexis experts, perpetrators engaged in fraud, even after being convicted, are likely to strike again, often in a different industry. By creating an alliance that aids all industries to share information, organizations can better mitigate the risk that fraud presents daily.
“Professional thieves don’t have a particular bias for a given industry,” says John Lorimer, vice president, analytics and product management, LexisNexis Risk Solutions. “Instead, they tend to ‘follow the money,’ deliberately exploiting gaps in the system to perpetrate fraud and hide their tracks.”
Fraud management and prevention is traditionally entity- or industry-specific because there has not been a structured effort to share insights and solutions across industries. The Fraud Defense Network provides companies and organizations from finance, retail, telecommunications, insurance, government, law enforcement and health care with a dedicated platform to share best practices and contribute to the body of knowledge of fraud.
For example, LexisNexis internal studies commissioned with customers found suspicious transactions from the telecommunications industry that were also highlighted in non-telecom investigations. In a similar retroactive analysis, LexisNexis uncovered that cross industry data would have drawn attention to medical providers who were recently convicted of committing fraud which resulted in millions of dollars of loss.
It is studies like these that will broaden the conversation about fraud detection and prevention so that organizations can make more informed decisions than they could make by keeping fraud conversations siloed in their own companies or industries. Fraud Defense Network participants will help to create new tools and fraud resources and communicate best practices for organizations to leverage in the fight against fraud.
The Fraud Defense Network builds on LexisNexis’ core competencies of data, analytics and linking technology, its breadth of fraud prevention solutions, data-driven insights from assets like the annual True Cost of Fraud report, and its decades of experience creating and maintaining industry wide contributory databases like C.L.U.E. for P&C insurance, the Special Investigation Resource and Intelligence System (SIRIS) for the National Health Care, and the Anti-Fraud Association (NHCAA), and MIDEX for the mortgage industry.
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- 91% of Insurers Have DevOps Initiatives Underway or Planned, Says Novarica
- Sapiens DECISION Expands Insurance Technology Offering
- EIS Group’s Digital Insurance Platform Deployed for Guardian’s Direct to Consumer Business
- Harford Mutual Insurance Company Selects Sapiens’ North American P&C Insurance Platform
- Insurers Starting to Shift IT Spending to Digital and Data from Core, Says 11th Annual Novarica Report
- Paladin Cyber Launches Comprehensive Cyber-Risk Program for Small and Mid-Sized U.S. Businesses
- Catholic Life Insurance in Production with Sapiens’ E-Application Solution LifeApply for Life and Annuities
- Kaboodle Announces New Partner Alliance with SPLICE Software
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views