Lightning Dangers Emphasized During Building Safety & Electrical Safety Months
Bill Sinn | May 14, 2019
With the summer storm season just ahead, building managers and owners must be ready to protect lives and property against lightning strikes, says the Lightning Protection Institute, a not-for-profit, nationwide group dedicated to promoting lightning awareness, education and safety.
"Lightning strikes the U.S. about 25 million times a year, according to the National Weather Service, and summer is the peak season for lightning storms. That makes Building Safety Month and Electrical Safety Month, both in May, the ideal reminder to consider ways to manage lightning risk, save lives and protect property," says Bud VanSickle, LPI's executive director.
Electrical Safety Foundation International promotes Electrical Safety Month annually as a way to raise awareness of proper installation and management of electrical systems. The International Code Council's Building Safety Month campaign is designed to raise awareness about building safety.
The Insurance Information Institute reports that thunderstorms and convective weather resulted in a record-breaking $5.7 billion in claims in the first quarter of 2017. In May 2018, a single "ring-of-fire" weather system of wind, hail and rainstorms resulted in over $2.5 billion in estimated damages.
In terms of overall losses, lightning outranks destruction from fires, explosions, earthquakes and vandalism. Annually, lightning-related property losses exceed $2 billion, according to Loretta Worters, a vice president with the Insurance Information Institute.
"Lightning can cause destruction of critical data resources, downed operations and lost business," Worters says. "These potential claims can be significantly mitigated by having the proper protection systems in place."
While lightning can't be prevented, the damage can be mitigated with lightning protection systems (LPS). LPI's Build and Protect program is helping to create lightning-safe communities by encouraging architects and builders to make LPS part of the design and construction process.
"Lightning protection is an important building safety component," says VanSickle. "The payoff of including LPS in a project can be significant when you consider the cost of protecting against strikes is less than 1% of a new building's cost."
LPI is asking insurance carriers to promote LPS and offer discounts to policyholders who install them, similar to the discounts policyholders receive for installing fire and burglar alarms. Three to 5% of all commercial insurance claims involve lightning strikes, VanSickle points out.
"Unlike other natural, insurable events, lightning damage is a reliably preventable occurrence. Lightning protection -- especially when inspected and certified by the LPI Inspection Program (LPI-IP) -- is economical, prudent and proven. It saves lives and safeguards property," adds VanSickle.
How Systems Work
The National Fire Protection Association has set national lightning safety standards that LPI-certified designers, installers and inspectors follow. Certified protection systems use UL-listed materials to intercept a lightning strike and safely disperse it into the ground without impact to the structure, occupants or contents. In addition, these systems protect against electrical surges in power, data and communication lines and vulnerable appliances.
Lightning is a special concern for smart buildings and homes. One strike can damage connected devices and cause irreparable damage to sensitive equipment and data. LPS can prevent costly downtime and lost revenue when buildings are zapped.
As lightning protection systems gain widespread acceptance, VanSickle says property owners should insist on systems designed and installed by lightning protection professionals, and that those systems should be inspected and certified by a nationally accepted third party.
LPI's testing and certification program was created in 1971 by the industry to qualify competence in lightning protection. The program responds to the needs of government agencies, architectural and engineering firms and insurance underwriters to certify excellence in system design, installation and inspection.
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- n2uitive Secures $1.3 Million in Funding to Fuel Growth in InsurTech Market
- Plug and Play Start-Up Accelerator and the Society of Actuaries Working Together to Inspire Innovative and Financially-Sound Technologies in Insurance
- Insurance Agency Mergers & Acquisitions Hit Record Level in 2019, OPTIS Partners’ Report Says
- Boost Insurance Expands Infrastructure-as-a-Service Platform with Suite of Products
- Sapiens Complete Its Acquisition of sum.cumo English
- Cowbell Cyber and Advisen Announce Data Partnership
- INSHUR Partners with Drivers Benefits to Provide Rideshare Drivers With Benefits Access
- Ed Rochfort Brings Successful UBI Track Record to IMS as Chief Product Officer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Case study of how a Fortune 500 employee benefits provider serving 35 million insureds throughout the U.S. and Europe transitioned from in-house... READ MORE
- Vendor Views