Looking for a Good Night’s Rest
Robert Regis Hyle | January 26, 2015
A favorite question of journalists—and I admit to using it myself at times—is what keeps people up at night. In our case, the question is normally directed to CIOs and other IT leaders. We usually get a variety of answers, but in the last few years, sometimes without the question even being asked, insurance IT leaders tell us their biggest worry is security.
There are plenty of worries that CIOs face and many are dealt with on a daily basis. Security issues though are largely unseen, much like cancer or other debilitating diseases that creep inside you.
Doctors and health insurers have pushed for early screenings, particularly for those with family histories of various illnesses with the promise that early detection can contain the problem. This also mirrors what IT leaders have learned about security.
Last year, IBM reported the number of security attacks in 2013 increased by 12 percent from the previous year. New numbers for last year aren’t available yet, but does anyone seriously believe the number has gone down? I didn’t think so.
The costs associated with an attack are staggering and widespread. It is easy enough to add up the costs of forensics and technical support following an attack, but can you place a dollar figure on the loss of a business’s reputation and brand damage?
IBM claims a damaged reputation and brand make up 29 percent of the losses insurers face from a security breach. Do you think there are some CEOs that wish they were operating their father’s insurance company when it comes to challenges like security? Night watchmen were easier to budget.
So what’s an insurance carrier to do these days? Test, test, and test again. Such plans are not cheap and there is no guarantee that what you discover and attempt to correct will be the ultimate answer. Technology has created too many windows into the company and it is nearly impossible to ensure that they are all secure.
At ITA LIVE, the Insurance Technology Association’s first conference in April, the results of some ethical hacking of several insurance carriers, who volunteered for the assignment, will be discussed with Janeen Blanton, of Salient Commercial Solutions, the company that orchestrated the ethical attacks, and ITA advisory board member Tom Dunbar, of XL Group.
It promises to be an informative session and quite scary, not just for the companies that were attacked, but for everyone who knows they could be next and that the attackers won’t be ethical. It’s tough to sleep at night with those kinds of worries.
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Duck Creek Acquires Distribution Management Provider Outline Systems LLC
- Guidewire Congratulates 2018 Innovation Award Winners – Economical Insurance, Motorists Insurance Group, and Zurich Mexico
- Over 70% of Insurers Now Use Some Cloud, Says Novarica
- Zywave Acquires Code SixFour, Bolstering its Suite of Proposal and Marketing Solutions for Insurance Brokers
- The Global InsurTech fund seeks InsurTech investments in Israel
- Selected Funeral and Life Insurance Company Goes LIVE with QLAdmin Solutions
- Crawford Human Risk Services Offers Enhanced Disability Management Services with Crawford EmployerWORKS Software
- Top ERP Systems for 2019
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views