Maciag Announces Retirement from ACORD Effective January, 2016
Staff Writer | December 03, 2014
Gregory Maciag, president and CEO of ACORD, announces his plan to retire on January 15, 2016. The ACORD board of directors accepted the plan and approved Maciag serving as an advisor for one additional year through January 15, 2017, which will mark his 40th anniversary with the international standards organization.
The ACORD board will organize a five-member selection committee with three outside industry executives to identify and recommend Maciag's successor during the coming year, according to John Leonard, president of The MEMIC Group and chairman of ACORD’s board of directors. The board plans to announce the next CEO at the new ACORD 2015 event next November.
Maciag was hired in 1977 to launch the ACORD Form library, which set the groundwork for standardization in the insurance industry and ACORD’s expansion in the following decades.
Maciag succeeded Robert E. Merriman as CEO in 1994 after serving in a variety of senior level positions with ACORD and the merged IIR/ACORD/IVANS.
"It was a difficult time," Maciag recalls. "Industry leaders had very different opinions about the future of ACORD. I was given the opportunity to develop a vision and modify the mission to reflect the technology revolution that was under way at the time and still continues today."
Lines of business serviced by ACORD were expanded from property & casualty to life, annuity and related health as well as surety and reinsurance. "The requirement for data standards became obvious to everyone as they wrestled with moving data between trading partners using proprietary systems," says Maciag.
"I speak not only for the board of directors, but for all ACORD members, when I acknowledge Greg's successful journey with us over the past four decades,” says Leonard. “Greg provided us with the vision, leadership and stewardship that cultivated partnerships and placed ACORD on the international stage. We are now one of the largest and most successful industry standards development organizations in the world."
Under Maciag's leadership, ACORD opened a London office in 2000. This occurred immediately after the merger with WISe (a consolidation of LIMNET in London, RINET in Brussels and the World Insurance Network). ACORD became the global industry standard for Lloyd's and the London Market. The previous merger he influenced was with the Insurance Institute for Research in the 1980s.
Maciag also coordinated with industry leaders to bring ACORD into Europe, Australia, Southern Africa, China, India, Singapore and several other nations where ACORD members also conducted business.
"Maciag has been part of the insurance industry metamorphosis for almost five decades and he rattles industry alphabet-soup acronyms like no one else," Leonard said. "Greg met every major metric over the years without fail, including expansion, growth, membership, forms, XML standards and all the financials. It was impressive. Greg spoke about the value of enterprise architecture for years and assembled a crack team that got it done. Now ACORD has a solid reference architecture for ACORD standards and the insurance industry."
Maciag published hundreds of columns for trade publications and authored two books, The Business Information Revolution (2005) and The Real-Time World (2009). He continues to write a weekly weblog at www.acordceo.org.
"You never replace a guy like Greg Maciag,” says Leonard. “You move on and plan to take ACORD to the next level. The new CEO certainly has big shoes to fill."
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Zywave Expands Commercial Content Offering in Flagship Product
- Insurance Technologies Partners with Fiduciary Exchange, LLC (FIDx) to Deliver Seamless Annuity Illustration and e-Application Capabilities in the Envestnet Insurance Exchange Platform
- Equisoft Acquires Grendel Recognized for its Premier Wealth Management CRM Platform
- Distribution Connectivity Options for Insurers Proliferating and Improving, Says Novarica
- Noblr, the New Car Insurance Company, Launches in Colorado
- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. Named OEM of the Year at 2019 TU Auto Awards
- Leading Roadside and Transportation Networks Partner to Transform the Breakdown Experience for Consumers
- Insurers Leveraging Emerging Tech, Analytics, Third-Party Data in Loss Control, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE