Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
Martin Gillespie | April 04, 2014
Over the past decade, the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) concept has become popular with insurance organizations and employees alike. Finding the perfect balance among privacy, security, and budgetary concerns presents complex choices for organizations. BYOD benefits include reduced equipment costs, increased employee satisfaction and efficiency, and decreased IT staff burdens.
BYOD can be good for an organization’s bottom line, but the most obvious risk with is that companies may be opening another gateway with potential security vulnerabilities that isn’t adequately managed by the IT staff. Increased security monitoring can be expensive, and in this day and age, IT investments need to demonstrate a clear and measurable return.
Gartner predicts by 2017 half of all employers will require employees to supply their own device for work purposes. Ensuring data security between these mobile devices and corporate networks will require advanced planning. When considering BYOD, organizations frequently evaluate the cost benefits of Mobile Device Management (MDM) and Mobile Application Management (MAM) solutions for securing their systems.
MDM and MAM are considered the most popular technologies for enabling secure use of an individual’s smartphone and tablet within the enterprise. These technologies started with different use cases, but their features are beginning to overlap. More vendors are starting to combine the two into a single product.
Though they involve a significant investment, the benefits result in securely allowing employee-owned equipment to connect with corporate networks by completely controlling each device. MDM provides command and control of mobile devices in a model that is similar to managing PCs, and therefore easily understood by IT.
There is a belief that gaining control of every setting on each device is necessary to protect and secure the organization. However, this idea conflicts with the very nature of the device being an extension of someone’s personal life and a secure and convenient bridge between personal and professional activities. The good news is in some cases it is possible to implement secure BYOD initiatives without an intrusive MDM configuration.
Do employees really need their mobile devices to be connected to the internal network in order to be productive? Mobile devices are inherently nothing more than portals to online services with small amounts of information stored on the device itself.
A device that is connected to the Exchange email service may contain corporate contact lists and some cached email attachments, but it is not like a laptop that is logging into the network and gaining unfettered access to a myriad of network services. The mobile device can be configured to only be connected to the individual services for a specific reason such as the Exchange email service or to a website through its browser.
In situations such as these, the major threat with mobile data loss is from stolen or lost devices that can be hacked. Fortunately, there are many free or inexpensive methods for wiping a device remotely once it has been lost, without an MDM. Apple provides a free iOS configuration utility that organizations’ IT groups can use to configure employees phones with an IT-controlled Apple ID for Find My iPhone. To implement this solution, you will of course need to establish policies to govern how this control will be used and communicated.
If little is stored on personal devices, there is little for IT to manage. Many organizations are already using cloud services for even their most sensitive data like CRM and marketing analytics. Extending these cloud services to personal devices is a more cost effective alternative to MDM.
At that point, the IT team only needs to manage access to services such as email, file storage, company and third-party applications, and programs at the user level instead of the device level, just as they already do for company-owned resources.
Why does all this matter? The balance between privacy, security, and budget does not mean you have to deny your employees’ requests to use their own device. And it does not mean you have to necessarily transfer the savings into an MDM solution. Consider the real way your employees will use the devices and cheaper alternatives before you make the leap.
Martin Gillespie is director, Mobility Center of Excellence for Salient Commercial Solutions and is responsible for bringing together thought leaders, experts, and resources to create a combination of solutions that can be disseminated to the community to vet ideas, offer strategic and tactical thought leadership, build proof-of concept prototypes, and oversee production delivery that provides benefits to our customers.
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- RLI Selects DataCubes to Optimize Certain Underwriting Processes
- Reinsurance Software WebXL Version 4.3 Released by Prima Solutions-Effisoft Group
- Direct Online Could Grow to 12% of Small Commercial Insurance Market by 2023, Says Novarica
- David Fisher joins FRISS board as non-executive member
- Gulfstream Property and Casualty Insurance Company Selects Roost®Home Telematics Solutions
- Promutuel Insurance Extends Guidewire PolicyCenter to Support Personal Lines Including Data Management and Policyholder Digital Engagement
- Global Insurance Accelerator Announces Nicole Cook as Next Managing Director
- 60% of Carriers Planning to Increase Quality Assurance Activities in 2019, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
This month, the ITA celebrates Insurance Careers Month and encourages carriers, brokers, agents and our industry associations to plan their own... READ MORE
Customization in the general sense has a very positive connotation. However, in the world of software systems, customization quite often falls short... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE