Modernization Investments Propel Insurance Industry Forward
Deb Smallwood | November 17, 2014
2014 was not the norm for our traditionally “steady and slow” industry. Transformation and wise technology investments continue to be significant in our industry. Moreover, the positive impact to the business and resulting competitive differentiation will become increasingly apparent in 2015 and beyond.
We are now seeing these investments pay off in major ways—better service, increased efficiency and accuracy, improved insight for effectively managing the business and operations, and more importantly positioning for change.
So what is the impetus behind this momentum and progress? SMA observes that there are three primary factors behind the stimulus, all working in concert to propel the industry forward as a whole and to create unique advantages for individual insurance companies.
First, the digital shift is forcing change. The world around us is changing dramatically. Customers are elevating expectations. External influence is playing an increasingly powerful role in shaping our industry’s future. Many insurers are actively exploring, researching, and running proof-of-concept projects around proven and promising technologies, watching other industries, and capitalizing on their experience.
Second, tremendous investment and effort has been made to modernize and optimize core systems and to deploy flexible and scalable business and technology environments. We are nearing a tipping point with about 25 percent of insurers well along the path of their modernization journey and now using platforms that are much more agile than ever before.
This modernized environment enables insurance companies to do amazing things to optimize their businesses. They can quickly capitalize on new and emerging technologies. A plug-and-play architecture is giving these insurers the ability to rapidly deploy new products, create new customer experience, and to capitalize on the advantages while the opportunity is ripe.
Lastly, but certainly not diminished in importance, insurers are actively taking steps to create a culture for innovation. They are stepping up to the challenges and creating new opportunities. They are aggressively working to rethink and reinvent the business—viewing opportunities from the inside and outside of the industry with a new creative lens, opening the doors to the digital world, and embracing customers and partners that live and work in new ways.
Looking ahead to the next few years, SMA envisions that 2015 will indeed be the year where modernized core systems and technology platforms enable differentiation in the marketplace. We will see more insurers concentrate priorities around becoming Next-Gen Insurers and equipping their organizations to reap the benefits of tomorrow’s opportunities in our new digital world.
Insurers will continue their focus on the customer, transitioning from internally focused operations to deliver nimble and personalized contextual customer experiences. There will be ongoing investment in the capabilities that support bringing new products to market quickly, including customized and bundled offerings. We will see more insurers move from rigid systems to dynamic architectures that use scalable computing power. As more insurers gain sophistication in how they manage and integrate data and use analytics, new levels of agility in risk/portfolio balance, market approach, and organizational structure will be recognized.
There are great stories of success in the marketplace, and there will be many more in 2015. SMA notes that it is not just market leaders making progress; there are many market movers doing remarkable things. Good years lie ahead. It is an exciting time to be part of our industry.
(Deb Smallwood is the Founder of Strategy Meets Action (SMA) , an advisory services firm offering retainers, research, consulting, events, and innovation offerings to both insurance companies and solution providers. She can be reached at email@example.com.)
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Crawford Technologies Announces Release of ePresentment Gateway for Box
- New Study of More than 100 Insurers Finds Success Among Early Adopters of Emerging Tech, Says Novarica
- Anshuman Purohit Assumes Senior Technology Leadership Role at CastleBay Companies
- AVYST Welcomes Kitty Ambers as Chief Growth Officer
- Agero Strengthens Executive Team with Bill Gerraughty as Chief Financial Officer
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- 2019 Global Insurance Accelerator Cohort Reflects Evolution of InsurTech
- Nearly 50% of US Insurers Are Enhancing Security Capabilities Across the Board, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE