Next Generation of Underwriting Comes Down to Five Concepts
Deb Smallwood | April 07, 2015
The benefits of next generation underwriting for complex risks are quantifiable and real. So when, where, and how do you start?
- When? Now. The sooner, the better.
- Where? It all starts with understanding the possible. You need to know what is realistically possible with the offerings that are available today. It is equally important to figure out what will be possible in the not too distant future. Once you’ve got a grip on the possibilities, it’s time to set priorities. Describe the capabilities that go on the priority list using business terminology. This makes it much easier to have meaningful conversations between the business and IT interests. It is important to look at how your plans for underwriting will align and work in concert with your policy administration system. Figure out what the best path for your organization is, and then just make it happen.
- How? The most effective path for making progress depends on the characteristics and culture of the company. For some insurers, shifting focus to the possibilities for underwriting gets things moving. Other organizations might need some help or just a kick-start. You can move the ball forward significantly by bringing in advisors that can describe what the options are and then put the value in context for your company. The important thing is to make progress one way or another. Time is of the essence.
The pace and breadth of change inside and outside our industry make the Partners at SMA feel very strongly about the significance of our signature Top 10 Imperatives. It is the urgency that makes it so important to concentrate on the underwriting imperative – Interconnect Intelligence for Underwriting. When we started to build this out, we wanted to describe modern underwriting capabilities in the most basic terms. Simply put, the goal of underwriting is to maximize efficiency and effectiveness. This is how the 5 I’s were born.
SMA’s concept of modern underwriting capabilities can best be described by using the Five I’s: Intuitive, Intelligent, Interconnected, Informative, and Insightful. The next generation insurers are embracing solutions that embody these characteristics, and they are reaping the benefits.
What do these 5 I’s mean for you? Let’s explore:
Intuitive — A user-experience centric desktop, an intuitive desktop, saves time spent hunting and searching for information, and it eliminates rekeying into several systems. It also reduces the learning curve and ties directly to the main goals of underwriting: efficiency and effectiveness.
Intelligent — For complex risks that require the touch of an underwriter, the modern underwriting workstation can significantly augment the expertise and experience by incorporating and taking advantage of new sources of data and models. This new level of intelligence automation will help make better decisions and provide controlled discipline.
Interconnected — Modern underwriting capabilities are delivered through a variety of solutions that are tightly integrated with everything underwriting needs and feeds. The required capabilities extend beyond what a single solution can deliver. The requirements include an interconnected, intelligent, modern platform that facilitates easy integration and synchronization with core systems, tools, spreadsheets, models, and data, as well as external data sources.
Informative and Insightful — Modern platforms provide underwriting with data and analytics like never before. Emerging technologies, as well as an abundance of new information, are generating new possibilities for underwriting and new ways to accomplish far-reaching transformation for the next generation of underwriting excellence. It is now possible to make smarter, more informed decisions by using new sources of data and models. New levels of sophistication in the information about both risk and customer intelligence are possible.
Looking back on my past-life as an insurer, I am in awe of today’s possibilities. The power that data and analytics are giving our industry is boundless. Just thinking about how far underwriting has come in a short time makes me even more excited for the future.
This is why at SMA we consider Interconnect Intelligence for Underwriting an imperative. It is critical to becoming a next-gen insurer. The world is moving as fast as we think it is. Any steps you can take to gain an edge by improving efficiency and effectiveness are must-take steps.
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Unique partnership between VMSolution and FRISS enables fast claims process
- Roost Joins the IoT Insurance Observatory
- Appalachian Underwriters launches world-class billing and payments offering (through Input 1)
- National Life Transforms Customer Experience Program with Cognizant
- Insurers Driving Real, Measurable Value from Digital Investments
- Insurers Embracing Digital Claims Payments, Says Novarica
- Majesco and DataRobot Partner to Bring Integrated AI/Machine Learning with Majesco Solutions to Customers and the Insurance Industry
- Stonetrust Commercial Insurance Selects Insurity’s Cloud-hosted ‘Workers’ CompXPress Suite’ to Improve Operations and Customer Experience
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE