Notion Raises $10 Million to Take Smart Home Awareness Mainstream
Staff Writer | June 13, 2017
Notion, a home awareness solution powered by an IoT smart home sensor, announces it has secured $10 million in Series A funding. Led by Draper Nexus and TransLink Capital, with additional participation from existing investors XL Innovate and Mesh VC, the latest round brings Notion’s total funding to approximately $15 million since its launch in 2013.
Notion, which has partnered with three of the top five home insurance providers in the country to offer a cost-effective loss mitigation system and home telematics solution, will use the new funding to expand those existing partnerships, as well as pursue new relationships with leading property insurers. The capital will also support product development and manufacturing, increased marketing efforts, and critical hires across the company’s engineering, data science and marketing departments.
“At Notion, it’s our mission to build products and services that give homeowners peace of mind and ultimately empower them to live better, more present lives. That’s what complete home awareness means to us,” says Brett Jurgens, co-founder and CEO of Notion. “This additional funding will allow us to amplify our relationships with insurance companies, and we’re excited to work alongside these partners to build more positive connections with homeowners and reward them with reduced insurance costs.”
Homeowners have plenty of options when it comes to home monitoring solutions, but most of them fall into two categories: traditional, expensive security companies that require a hefty monthly fee and long-term contract, or more complicated DIY solutions that are limited to a single use.
Notion’s low-cost and easy-to-install sensors pack eight capabilities into a single device. Each sensor is identical and multi-functional, which means homeowners can place them in different spots around their home depending on what they care about. From doors opening and closing, to monitoring temperature, to detecting water leaks or a sounding alarm, Notion enables homeowners to customize notifications sent to their Android or iOS smartphone for peace of mind across their whole home. In the last year alone, Notion has sent more than four million notifications and has saved homeowners across the country more than half a million dollars in property damages.
In addition to leading the round, Mitch Kitamura, managing director at Draper Nexus, and Toshi Otani, co-founder and managing director at TransLink Capital, will join the Notion board of directors.
“By putting Notion into homes across the country, insurance companies have unlocked an opportunity to positively engage with mainstream consumers via smart home technology,” says Kitamura. “In return, Notion offers insurance companies unmatched access into the behaviors and activities happening inside the home. From reducing loss, to defining the characteristics of a safe property owner and informing underwriting practices, Notion’s wealth of data has the potential to materially change the way the insurance industry operates.”
Notion is headquartered in Denver, Colorado and is available in the US and Canada. For more information, visit www.getnotion.com.
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- SpareBank 1 Selects Roost® For Home Telematics Solution
- AIG and Athene Executive Joins Denim® as CTO
- NSM Insurance Group Selects ValueMomentum’s BizDynamics Digital Platform and iFoundry Rating Engine
- MS & AD Insurance Group Companies Select Shift Technology’s FORCETM Fraud Detection Solution
- CALIFORNIA CASUALTY SELECTS GUIDEWIRE SYSTEMS FOR REAL-TIME AND PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS
- EIS Group Names Insurance C-suite Veteran Sharon Ludlow to Board of Directors
- THE CO-OPERATORS AND EQUISOFT LAUNCH AN INNOVATIVE FINANCIAL NEEDS ANALYSIS SOLUTION FOR CLIENTS AND ADVISORS
- Clearcover Implements One, Inc.’s ProcessOne
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views