SMA Research: P&C Insurers Expand Analytics into New Business Areas
Staff Writer | June 20, 2014
Strategy Meets Action (SMA) announces a new research report, “Data and Analytics in Insurance: P&C Insurer Strategic Priorities and Operational Plans for 2014 and Beyond,” which covers insurers' business and IT strategic priorities and operational plans to leverage the exploding sources of data, and investigates how business intelligence and advanced analytics are being applied to innovate and transform the business.
"The trends in business intelligence and analytics are quite clear. P&C insurers continue to increase investments, double down on risk-centric analytics, and expand usage into new areas across the rest of the business. Opportunities are especially strong for customer-centric analytics," says Mark Breading, SMA Partner.
The findings, based on interviews and a survey of insurance professionals, include the following:
Very few insurers report an enterprise-wide data and analytics approach – most continue to focus on targeted business area capabilities. For example, only five percent have advanced usage of dashboards across the enterprise.
Customer-oriented analytics lag behind risk-centric analytics (e.g. actuarial and underwriting), but many significant new projects and investments are underway or planned based on customer experience initiatives.
Pricing and CAT models are the top two areas for analytics in P&C today, but insurers still have many new investments focused on the analysis of the growing sources of data that will help them identify new market segments, products, and services to gain market advantage.
Thirty-eight percent of commercial lines insurers are planning budget increases of at least six percent per year over the next three years, compared to 31 percent for personal lines. Both signal aggressive investment increases, with many planning annual increases over 10 percent.
"Analytics increasingly enable insurers to gain new insights across the business that help shape their vision and strategies as a next-gen insurer, while enabling real-time analysis to make decisions quickly,” says Denise Garth, co-author and partner with SMA. “The overriding and critical success factor is data. The rapid explosion of new sources of data, the increasing access to existing data embedded in core systems such as unstructured notes, video, pictures, and more—combined with the increased analytics capabilities—offer new insights and opportunities for insurers to create game-changing results."
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Visioning, Setting Scope, and Execution Planning Critical for Successful Digital Strategies, Says Novarica
- ITS Implements QA Best Practices for Rockford Mutual
- FireLight® by Insurance Technologies Features New Advanced User Experience Capabilities and Wizard Designer
- InsurTech Startup Betterview Launches New AI Driven Roof Report to Immediately Identify Roof Condition & Characteristics
- Larger Insurers Extending their Analytics Leads and Piloting Artificial Intelligence, says 3rd Annual Novarica New Normal 100 Benchmark
- 360Globalnet Augments Services and Implementation Capabilities
- TechCanary Incorporates in Canada as TechCanary Insurance Software of Canada ULC
- XL Catlin to Build World’s First On-Demand Cyber Insurance Solution with Slice ICS
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
One important trend in society over the past decade is our increasing ability to create and consume a seemingly unlimited amount of digital content... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views