SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
Jennifer Overhulse | October 04, 2019
In insurance, speed-to-market is key to besting the competition, but it’s not all about being fast.
Insurance organizations today must also compete on price, product features or relevance, and
service. SageSure Insurance Managers (SageSure), an independent residential property
managing general underwriter (MGU), thrives on developing competitively priced products for
its highly rated insurance company partners. Delivering those products keeps SageSure focused
on staying nimble, maximizing customer satisfaction, and promoting ongoing operational
Terrence McLean, SageSure’s co-founder and CEO, understood that his company’s processes
and systems had to evolve to keep up with managing operations for nearly 250,000 customers,
40+ insurance products across 14 states, and a growing network of insurance agents and
brokers. McLean and his team identified an opportunity to further develop SageSure’s payment
strategy to ensure it is as quick, easy, and transparent as possible for policyholders to make
payments on policies.
Comprehensive internal analyses also uncovered three main areas contributing to unnecessary
operational and administrative expenses in the company’s existing payment strategy:
1. Disparate technologies: SageSure had multiple vendors and processes, creating
numerous vendor management challenges.
2. Inefficient financial reporting: The company was burdened with disjointed reporting and
reconciliation, resulting in significant time spent pulling and reconciling transactions.
3. Rising costs: SageSure was feeling the pain of growing credit card processing costs and
other steadily rising expenses.
“Our issues around payments compounded as our business grew,” says McLean. “We continued
adding new insurance company partners and increasing our product portfolio to serve more
As SageSure began to search for a digital payment solution, there were three criteria deemed
non-negotiable for a new provider partner. First, SageSure wanted a reliable technology partner
with the right capabilities and expertise to help consolidate to a single payment platform.
Specifically, they were looking to create a better workflow and eliminate errors, such as
incorrect merchant IDs.
Second, SageSure needed a solution that would streamline reporting capabilities for finance
and accounting. With multiple systems, it was a heavy lift to ensure the company always had
the most up-to-date, accurate information. McLean and his team knew a cleaner, simpler
process would save both time and money.
Third, SageSure was looking for a way to mitigate rising credit card processing costs. It was
essential to keep costs low to maintain competitively priced products.
SageSure ultimately selected the One Inc Digital Payments Platform based on the strength of
the solution’s technology foundation, the company’s strong insurance industry reputation, and
the cultural fit between the two companies. One Inc completed the SageSure implementation
in less than five months, from start to finish.
“With guidance from One Inc, we created three initial implementation phases,” says McLean.
“Phase One incorporated an API for new business, Phase Two addressed an API for existing
business, and Phase Three introduced payment modals. The One Inc team made the process
easy for us. They were knowledgeable, responsive, and met key deadlines throughout each
phase of the project.”
By hitting go-live on time and on budget, SageSure was quickly able to reap the benefits of
moving to a single payment platform, improving the policyholders’ payment experiences while
enjoying a measurable return on investment (ROI). And, by automating much of the payment
process, the company eliminated costly manual errors and streamlined internal workflows by
“While we did have software and capability improvements, the benefits were multi-faceted and
seen right away with the ease of reconciliation and the simplification for our customer service
representative (CSRs) when taking payments using only one vendor,” says McLean.
Additionally, One Inc worked to uphold SageSure’s strategic goal around providing the best
prices to customers.
“SageSure believes in keeping costs low to keep premiums low,” says McLean. “Given the high
cost of credit cards, SageSure is happy to be working with One Inc to provide our customers
with the option to pay with credit cards while keeping the cost of doing so to a minimum.”
Throughout the process, McLean and the team at SageSure were impressed with One Inc’s
ability to create a true partnership and solve specific business needs with a combination of
modern technology and insurance expertise.
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- SDRefinery Rebrands to Reflect Evolving Business Model and Announces New Appointments
- Zywave Acquires Data Analytics Provider miEdge
- Trov Launches White-Label Renters Insurance Application in Partnership with Lloyds Banking Group
- Bestow Announces Executive Hires
- OCTO Acquires Nebula Systems, Reinforcing Leadership in Intelligent Vehicle Diagnostics
- Eastern Alliance Insurance Group Selects Insurity’s Cloud-hosted “Workers’ CompXPress Suite”
- SageSure Insurance Managers Appoints Paul VanderMarck to Accelerate Innovation
- The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group Deploys Guidewire InsurancePlatform in Deloitte’s InsurCloud
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE