Serious Social Media Secures Additional Funding from GIA Investors
Staff Writer | October 19, 2016
Serious Social Media, developer of the automated social media marketing solution InsuranceSocial.Media, and a 2016 graduate of the Global Insurance Accelerator (GIA) program, announces the company has secured second-round funding led by Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company.
Grinnell Mutual was also one of the founding investors in the GIA, which as a group acquires an initial financial stake in startups going through its program. This latest investment in Serious Social Media is independent of the GIA.
“These early-stage investments confirm our product meets an urgent need in the insurance industry,” says David Beall, Serious Social Media CEO. “These funds have accelerated our timeline for growing our staff, broadening our marketing efforts and onboarding customers.”
InsuranceSocial.Media is the flagship product of Serious Social Mediaand was selected as part of the GIA’s second cohort, which ran from January through May 2016. Launched in July, InsuranceSocial.Media not only provides personalized, relevant and engaging content, but also posts that content—along with carrier content—automatically to agents’ social media platforms. The solution’s tiered subscription plan makes it easy for agents and brokers to match the level of service to their marketing needs.
“Many of our independent agents are eager to market through social media, but do not have the staffing or resources to keep an active social media presence,” says Kurt Eaves, Grinnell Mutual’s vice president of underwriting and production and a GIA mentor. “Serious Social Media provides a great solution to this dilemma, and we’re proud to have taken the lead in their seed investment round. It will allow our independent agents to have a necessary and effective communication tool—a robust social media presence.”
The $700,000 round also includes funding from the IMT Group, another original investor in the GIA. The GIA is a business accelerator focused on developing and growing innovative insurance-centric startups. Now in its third year, the GIA is backed by insurer investors from across the U.S., but is based in Des Moines, which is home to more than 80 insurance companies and tens of thousands of insurance professionals.
“As we look back on our time at the GIA, it’s remarkable how much progress we were able to make,” Beall says. “The GIA opened so many doors—to mentors, whose feedback helped us refine our product, and to future customers and investors. Quite simply, we would not be where we are today if it weren’t for the GIA.”
Serious Social Media is the second GIA graduate to receive additional funding from insurers involved in the GIA program. In March, Drive Spotter secured funds from a group of investors, including Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company.
“Our founding investment in the Global Insurance Accelerator has provided us with the opportunity to be on the cutting edge of insurtech,” Eaves says. “With this investment in Serious Social Media, we have now taken the lead on two tech startups with great business potential in the property-casualty insurance space.”
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Crawford Technologies Announces Release of ePresentment Gateway for Box
- New Study of More than 100 Insurers Finds Success Among Early Adopters of Emerging Tech, Says Novarica
- Anshuman Purohit Assumes Senior Technology Leadership Role at CastleBay Companies
- AVYST Welcomes Kitty Ambers as Chief Growth Officer
- Agero Strengthens Executive Team with Bill Gerraughty as Chief Financial Officer
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- 2019 Global Insurance Accelerator Cohort Reflects Evolution of InsurTech
- Nearly 50% of US Insurers Are Enhancing Security Capabilities Across the Board, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE