Single View and the Customer Experience in Insurance
Mark Breading | June 16, 2015
The concept of the single view of the customer has been around for ages. I remember some significant single-view projects of insurers from the early 1990s. Many insurers have continued to strive toward this elusive goal. Now that the customer experience is front and center in insurers’ strategies, it’s time to revisit the single view, a/k/a the 360 degree view of the customer.
Three questions must be addressed: What is single view anyway? How does it relate to the customer experience? What is the state of the industry?
What is a single view anyway?
Having a single view of the customer means that the insurer and any front line individual dealing with the customer understands the full context of the relationship. This normally includes information such as the customer’s personally identifiable information (PII), products currently owned, relationship history, and the named agent/producer (if applicable). Ideally, this is summarized for a quick snapshot of the relationship.
Creating a single view is complicated by two main factors. First, the complexity and often siloed natures of IT systems make it difficult to have a common view. The evolution of channel options and technologies makes it a constant challenge to coordinate across the different systems. The second challenge relates to any company using independent agents, financial advisors, brokers, or other producers. The producer does not typically share all the customer information with the insurer. Usually, they just pass along the minimum information needed for underwriting and servicing the customer. In addition, the producer may place insurance coverages for a customer with multiple insurance companies. The producer may have more of a single view of the customer’s insurance and financial services products and needs than the insurer has.
How does single view relate to the customer experience?
As challenging as it is, creating as complete a picture of the customer relationship as possible is essential today. Improving the customer experience is an SMA 2015 Imperative and a top strategic initiative for many companies and a key driver of business and IT strategies. Any touch point, whether human or digital, should be informed by the context of the customer relationship. An agent, customer service rep, or adjuster should understand the value of the policyholder. While everyone is entitled to fair service that satisfies the contractual obligations, the level of attention and expertise applied might vary for an individual or business with a 20 year history and multiple policies versus a new customer with just one small policy.
A related question is: Does the customer have a single view of the insurer? Customers do not want to repeat information, experience delays in service, be presented with incorrect information or find their favorite mode of interaction is not available or current.
This is causing insurers to move toward providing an omni-channel environment, enabling policyholders to interact using whatever devices and channels they want at any time – and making the transactions and interactions transfer across channels in real-time. Ultimately, providing a world class customer experience requires the insurer to have a single view of the customer and visa-versa.
What is the state of single view in insurance?
How many insurers have actually achieved this single view? According to SMA research, 35 percent say they have assembled a single view, but only eight percent can present that view in real-time to the individuals interacting with a policyholder. Another 46 percent do not have single view today but are working on it. There are also significant differences based on the size of the insurer.
More insurers under $1B in premium actually have a full single view in real-time than their counterparts over $1B. This is likely due to the fact that their product and distribution environment is less complicated than the larger companies. On the other hand, virtually all insurers over $1B are at least working on achieving a single view, whereas 30 percent of the smaller companies have no plans.
Single view and improving the customer experience are inextricably linked. Business and IT strategies and plans should always consider the implications for both of these objectives.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Hippo Insurance Secures $70M Series C Investment Led by Felicis Ventures and Lennar Corporation
- Cloverleaf Analytics Announces Version 2.0 Release
- AmWINS selects ClarionDoor’s Digital Distribution Suite to Power Underwriting Platform
- Ask Kodiak Connects TrustedChoice.com Carrier Appetite to TechCanary Agency Management System
- Seth Bostock Joins Lucens Group as CTO with Vision to Simplify the Disability Insurance Experience
- Life Insurers Enhancing Claims Systems, Novarica Profiles Six Prominent Providers
- HazardHub Releases Frozen Pipe Score, Ice Dam Score and enhanced Weather Variables
- Big Gains & Big Bets in the Independent Insurance Channel
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The Insurance Technology Association is pleased to announce that ITA Live 2019 is scheduled for May 5-7, 2019 at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and... READ MORE
It has become a common refrain over the past few years to view the practice of enterprise architecture (EA) as something that time has passed by, much... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Fraud detection has always been and will continue to be a critical component of claims management. Learning the lessons from current claims Straight... READ MORE
- Vendor Views