Single View and the Customer Experience in Insurance
Mark Breading | June 16, 2015
The concept of the single view of the customer has been around for ages. I remember some significant single-view projects of insurers from the early 1990s. Many insurers have continued to strive toward this elusive goal. Now that the customer experience is front and center in insurers’ strategies, it’s time to revisit the single view, a/k/a the 360 degree view of the customer.
Three questions must be addressed: What is single view anyway? How does it relate to the customer experience? What is the state of the industry?
What is a single view anyway?
Having a single view of the customer means that the insurer and any front line individual dealing with the customer understands the full context of the relationship. This normally includes information such as the customer’s personally identifiable information (PII), products currently owned, relationship history, and the named agent/producer (if applicable). Ideally, this is summarized for a quick snapshot of the relationship.
Creating a single view is complicated by two main factors. First, the complexity and often siloed natures of IT systems make it difficult to have a common view. The evolution of channel options and technologies makes it a constant challenge to coordinate across the different systems. The second challenge relates to any company using independent agents, financial advisors, brokers, or other producers. The producer does not typically share all the customer information with the insurer. Usually, they just pass along the minimum information needed for underwriting and servicing the customer. In addition, the producer may place insurance coverages for a customer with multiple insurance companies. The producer may have more of a single view of the customer’s insurance and financial services products and needs than the insurer has.
How does single view relate to the customer experience?
As challenging as it is, creating as complete a picture of the customer relationship as possible is essential today. Improving the customer experience is an SMA 2015 Imperative and a top strategic initiative for many companies and a key driver of business and IT strategies. Any touch point, whether human or digital, should be informed by the context of the customer relationship. An agent, customer service rep, or adjuster should understand the value of the policyholder. While everyone is entitled to fair service that satisfies the contractual obligations, the level of attention and expertise applied might vary for an individual or business with a 20 year history and multiple policies versus a new customer with just one small policy.
A related question is: Does the customer have a single view of the insurer? Customers do not want to repeat information, experience delays in service, be presented with incorrect information or find their favorite mode of interaction is not available or current.
This is causing insurers to move toward providing an omni-channel environment, enabling policyholders to interact using whatever devices and channels they want at any time – and making the transactions and interactions transfer across channels in real-time. Ultimately, providing a world class customer experience requires the insurer to have a single view of the customer and visa-versa.
What is the state of single view in insurance?
How many insurers have actually achieved this single view? According to SMA research, 35 percent say they have assembled a single view, but only eight percent can present that view in real-time to the individuals interacting with a policyholder. Another 46 percent do not have single view today but are working on it. There are also significant differences based on the size of the insurer.
More insurers under $1B in premium actually have a full single view in real-time than their counterparts over $1B. This is likely due to the fact that their product and distribution environment is less complicated than the larger companies. On the other hand, virtually all insurers over $1B are at least working on achieving a single view, whereas 30 percent of the smaller companies have no plans.
Single view and improving the customer experience are inextricably linked. Business and IT strategies and plans should always consider the implications for both of these objectives.
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Medical Malpractice Insurers Investing in Analytics and Emerging Tech in Face of Market Pressures, Says Novarica
- Insurtech AI Leader Betterview Appoints Dan Shoham, PhD, as Chief Science Officer
- Vermont Mutual Insurance Group Selects One Inc for Digital Payments
- Insurers Embracing Machine Vision for Underwriting and Claims, Says Novarica
- Nationwide partners with Slice Labs to develop on-demand auto insurance for rideshare drivers
- AM Best Requests Comments on Draft Criteria: Scoring and Assessing Innovation
- Majesco Acquires Insurance Software Business in India
- MEMIC Scholarship for Families of Injured Workers Now Accepting Applications
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
There are so many great advances in the area of smart homes and buildings, it makes me wonder what the actual impact has been, or what I might have... READ MORE
This month, the ITA celebrates Insurance Careers Month and encourages carriers, brokers, agents and our industry associations to plan their own... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE