Slice Labs Among Plug and Play Insurance's First Startup Batch
Staff Writer | September 28, 2016
With the rapid growth of insurtech, Plug and Play Insurance has selected the top 23 startups to join their Innovation Platform. According to PwC, 74 percent of insurance companies believe some part of their business is at risk of being disrupted.
The list of start-ups includes Slice Labs, an insurtech startup launching the world's first on-demand insurance platform for the on-demand economy.
The 12-week program connects startups to some of world's largest insurance corporations. The official partners include Admiral Group, Aviva, Compare.com, Farmers Insurance, HDI, Maiden Re, Markel, Munich Re, Nationwide, Pronto Insurance, SOMPO Digital Lab, Talanx, The Hartford, Travelers, and USAA.
Plug and Play's venture arm initially looked at over 800 startups and narrowed that list down in collaboration with participating corporate partners. The remaining 33 startups attended Selection Day where they pitched their ideas in-person. Out of those finalists, 23 have been hand-picked to join the program for business development and the possibility of pilots, POCs, or strategic funding.
“Of the 800 hundred startups that applied, Slice was among the select group invited to the Insurance Batch 1 Selection Day to pitch their companies to a room full of insurance carriers and venture capital firms from around the world,” says Emily Mertz, director of marketing for Slice Labs. “From there, the field was narrowed down to 23 to be a part of the insurance platform, and we are proud to say we’re one of them.”
"Munich Re is proud to be the founding partner that helped create the first, highly successful insurance innovation platform in Silicon Valley. We are extremely pleased with the caliber of insurtech startups Plug and Play has sourced and signed up, and look forward to working with them as part of this prestigious program," says Robert Mozeika, executive innovation strategy at Munich Re in Silicon Valley.
"Starting a program with 23 of the best Insurtech startups changing the industry is a great step forward for our innovation strategy," says Ali Safavi, director of Plug and Play Insurance. "Having many major insurance partners and experts involved in the program distinguishes our selection process and leads to a comprehensive investment method for us."
Other Batch One startups include:
Amodo connects insurers with the new generation of customers.
BetterView provides insurance companies with robust building and property data, powered by drones.
ClientDesk is a white-labelled consumer facing platform that helps agencies, agency-based insurers, and direct writers digitize their client experience and internal operations using web and mobile technologies.
Cover is a mobile insurance application that takes in a verified ID and a picture of property to bind insurance. They receive requests for car, home, jewelry, electronics, and pet coverage from throughout the US and Canada.
Cytora generates loss data from unstructured web text to help companies identify, quantify and price risk. Their data enables insurers to improve risk selection and pricing at the point of underwriting across perils such as supply chain disruption, fire and data breach.
DigitalGenius Human+AI™ Customer Service Platform brings practical applications of deep learning and artificial intelligence into customer service operations of leading companies.
Driveway smartphone telematics helps ordinary drivers become safer drivers and helps insurers find and reward them.
Dropin is On-Demand Live Video Platform for Policy Underwriting, Claims, and Retention.
Enigma lets you process and draw insights from encrypted data without decrypting it, by leveraging blockchain technology and other cryptographic techniques.
Inbenta is an AI-powered intelligent search and chat for omnichannel support and eCommerce.
Isaac Re is a marketplace for for insurance risks. These risks are uncorrelated with other financial markets, and offer superior risk-adjusted returns.
Livegenic is a real-time video platform for insurance that connects every part of the claims ecosystem to streamline loss documentation from the field.
NAUTO is an autonomous vehicle system that uses hardware, a smart cloud and network to give insurers a true view of every driver: saving time and money while empowering insurers to develop enhanced services for long-lasting customer relationships.
Omniscience provides underwriting automation and risk intelligence via distribution of complex machine learning algorithms and alternate data sources.
Rainvow builds and maintains a contract on the Ethereum blockchain to power parametric insurance for underwriters.
RiskGenius helps insurance professionals review policies faster with machine learning.
Safesite platform generates a real time risk profile for customers in high risk environments. Granular field, IoT and Wearable data is aggregated to facilitate compliance, reduce injury rates and provide the workers compensation industry with deep customer insight.
splitsecnd is a simple vehicle plug-in that combines two-way emergency communication, crash response and GPS capabilities into one compact device, designed to work in any vehicle no matter the make, model or year.
Sureify's Lifetime Platform gives insurance companies powerful digital engagement tools needed to transform the insurer-policyholder relationship and usher in insurance 2.0.
Vivametrica's predictive wearable data analytics provides personalized health risk assessments for insurance underwriting, organizational wellness and precision health management.
These startups will be on display at Plug and Play's first Insurance EXPO on December 14.
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- ProSight Direct Offers “Effortless Insurance for Today’s Professional”
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Zywave Expands Commercial Content Offering in Flagship Product
- Insurance Technologies Partners with Fiduciary Exchange, LLC (FIDx) to Deliver Seamless Annuity Illustration and e-Application Capabilities in the Envestnet Insurance Exchange Platform
- Equisoft Acquires Grendel Recognized for its Premier Wealth Management CRM Platform
- Distribution Connectivity Options for Insurers Proliferating and Improving, Says Novarica
- Noblr, the New Car Insurance Company, Launches in Colorado
- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. Named OEM of the Year at 2019 TU Auto Awards
- Leading Roadside and Transportation Networks Partner to Transform the Breakdown Experience for Consumers
- Insurers Leveraging Emerging Tech, Analytics, Third-Party Data in Loss Control, Says Novarica
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE